a new not so good 4 stroke sound?

GoldenMotor.com

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
i have a new sound that looks to be coming from my top end. when the motor runs it taps.
and if i turn the flywheel back and forth in any position it taps. i was wondering is this normal for the gx50 clone
motor? does anyone else get this? or am i looking at servicing it.

piston damage?
piston pin?
connecting rod?
rod cap?

YouTube - honda gx50 service?

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Doesn't sound familiar to me. Valve lash can cause high speed tapping noise if they're too loose but that it makes a tapping noise when you turn it back and forth by hand is concerning. Sure it's not your GB? What gearbox are you running?

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
Respuesta: a new not so good 4 stroke sound?

the hoot gearbox. i removed the gearbox same noise. removed the side plate removed plastic cam lifters. nothing left but the piston connecting rod still tapping.

a guy on youtube called it. its the twist pin or the piston im working on it now :) want pics?

YouTube - karmabike1911's Channel

Last edited:

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
Probably wrist pin....attaches the piston to the rod. Could be the crank, but sounds more like the wrist pin. Be good to fix it before it gets worse....next step is..............a new motor. :>)

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton

found the problem. there is no lock washer or washers to bend over the nuts on the connecting rod to keep them from coming loose. they where loose clicking is gone.

looks like im picking up Loctite and liquid gasket. i wonder how many other motors have this problem heh.

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton

yes the quality of these motors is poor. as long as it holds together so i can save for a real Honda motor.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Here is a Picture of the Honda GXH50. As you can see. It is the same.. No bend in tabs for the connection rod bolts. I have removed the bolts and there was no loc Tight holding them in. Only proper torque specs. IF you use the Honda or not, these motors were designed to run 3600 RPM all day and night. If you run your motor for faster speeds longer, you can over heat the end cap and rod. This over heating and then cooling over time can loosen the end cap bolts. What we have done for Titan is put in a small oil Groove into the end cap and rod to allow for extra oiling to help keep things cool during sustained high speed runs. This is not done on any of the other motors that I know of. The Fact that the Honda has a governor to keep RPM max sustained at 3600 is the key for long life. Since we are using these motors for Bicycle assist, means we want much higher Speeds and RPM's. RPM's these motors were not originally designed for. So.. We are adding and making stronger certain key parts. Normally, I never use Loc Tight. But for this application, it may be a good recommendation to make. Added Oil Grooves should fix any lube and heating issues which should keep End Cap bolts in place. If not, Loc Tight may be the next add to the build. A Bendable Tab would also be an option. I am not sure what performance degradation would occur by adding a tab and the small weight associated with it. Any added reciprocating mass would hurt performance and cause vibrations. But. It will be something to look at if any large problems with End cap bolts occur. So far.. I only know of 2 engines where end caps bolts have come lose. Yours is one. Enjoy the ride..

Attachments

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Also.. I must say.. The pictures of the engine you show are much closer to the GXH50 than the Titan is. the Main Difference between Titan XC50 and GXH50 is the Crank, and Engine Bell Housing. Also. XC50 has removable Plug wire and Cap, GXH50 is all one piece. Also.. XC50 has the Better Carb than GXH50. Both have the same non commercial Warranty of 1 year. Enjoy the ride..

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton

that's the first picture inside a Honda i have seen, hmm looks the same. i take back what i said about the clones being cheap. its the same parts. is the cam gear the same?

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I am not sure if the GXH uses a nylon cam gear. The lower Gear on Both XC50 and GXH50 is nylon. This gear serves only one purpose on the XC50 and that is to sling oil everywhere. On the GXH50, it has two purposes, one, to sling oil, and the other to govern speed since it has fly weights inside of it to push on the governor and limit speed. My guess is that the GXH50 also has nylon cam gear like the XC50. But.. That is only my guess. Enjoy the ride..

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
The Honda makes its rated power at 7000rpm and is designed to run continuously at that rpm...most other small engines run at 3600, but not the GXH50 and, I would assume, the clones.

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton

one problem with this motor it didn't come with a governor. anyone have a idea where i could pick up the parts for one?