Bike trailer testing and mods so far

GoldenMotor.com

bugler1

Apr 30, 2009
ARIZONA
I have been using my bike for long trips to see the sights here in the south west and I like to camp out along the way, but I have had to to strap every thing to the bike, not a bad thing but it could be better. So I got a bike trailer after some work on the bike and a longer rear axle shaft installed I hooked the trailer up it looked way to close to the back of the bike after test driving it around I was not pleased with the turing of the trailer if you turned to much the frame of the trailer would hit my exhaust pipe. So back to my shop for the first mod to the trailer. I cut the toung around the center point and added 16 inches to the toung with 3/4 inch square tubing and and a piece of 20 inch long by 3/4 inch pipe was used to leinghton the toung the pipe was inserted in to the square stock and bolted together. Now the trailer is much farther from the back of the bike and the turning is much better. I have also tested it with 80 pounds in the trailer it towes good and the bike towes it fine on Hills up to 6% I hope to test it on some 8% hills this week. I have also replaced the stock trailer tires with some Bell Kevlar tires. The next mods to come will be to put lights on the back ,tail and brake lights only as I do not have turning lights on my bike. You can see the new section in the photo after every thing is working I will paint the trailer toung and frame to match the bike.

Attachments

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
Looks good :)

We have two trailers, both have worked great. Last test was 250km's over 4 days with 100lbs in each trailer. Camping trip to the lake.
To test initially I rode in the trailers and yes exhaust is a problem :) So are bumps and potholes.
We don't have the axel mounted kind so we use handle bar extenders, but off the back forks, keep away from the chain as much as possible.

Attachments

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
DUUUUDE! thats a Sportster gas tank...
COOL... its funny... that tanks to small for any kind of distance on the Sporty, but on a buz bike...? when was the last time you put gas in it? whats the range? like 5000 miles?