Phantom Bikes long barrel pipe silencer?

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Does anyone have experience using the Silencer plug add on for the Phantom Bikes long barrel pipe (the 4 stroke pipe)? The pipe has a small glass packed section, but it doesn't do much to actually quiet the noise at WOT. I'd like to hear from anyone that's got experience with it before I spend cash on it if it doesn't significantly quiet the ride.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Today I spoke to Phantom Bikes, they apparently offer a new baffle to retrofit the pipes that's different from their billet "silencer". They told me that the billet plug takes out some of the low tones but that it's still fairly loud and their new baffle system cuts the noise by about half. That sounds pretty good to me, so I ordered one up. I'll post pics and audio when I get the part in. The baffle part is not listed on their website yet, but is priced at $53 +shipping.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
If you can find cheap scrap metal, just make your own pipe. It's far more powerful than any cheap pipe you can buy, and if you throw on a belly-stinger rather than an end-stinger, it'll drop your noise levels significantly, and not disrupt the return wave as much, giving you a better, fuller power band. However if you want a good pipe, the pipe Arrow uses on their race bike (the "wavy" one) is right here: http://www.jnmotorsbikes.com/product_p/jnm1105.htm

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
I'm talking about a pipe on a 4 stroke motor, so no messing around with tuning. I've already got the long barrel pipe on it, these add-ons are just about quieting it down.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Well, got the baffle installed today. Honestly, not that impressed. It does quiet it down a bit, but it's still pretty loud, it just seems to take down some of the sharpness of the exhaust and smooth out the sound. It's less blatty sounding over all and is somewhat quieter overall, but not to a level that I consider being fully worth the price. Hopefully I'll notice more of a difference while riding. I didn't have a chance to actually get out tonight. I tried using an android app for testing sound levels, but it didn't end up providing useful results. Here's a video comparison, keep in mind that my cell phone's mic isn't capable of truly recording the sound at the high volume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtg2VKTsGRY

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
One last update on this for now... Took the bike out for 20 miles yesterday, and the exhaust sound while riding is much more tolerable than without the baffles in place. It's still a bit loud, I noticed after getting off the bike that my ears were ringing ever so slightly. It does sound good at low rpms, but at the upper end, I do wish it was quieter and if I were to build another of these, I might go with a different combo of exhaust for the cost of this unit.