Shift Kit gearing?

GoldenMotor.com

Cycloptishred

Mar 30, 2012
Eugene OR
I'm looking to install a shift kit of my bike but I have one of those boxes that take 8 seconds to shift. Does this matter? Will I have to shift carefully? xct2

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Not really sure what you're talking about. What do you mean a box that takes 8 seconds to shift? Do you already have a shift kit? Regardless you should let off the gas when changing gears and use the peddles to execute the shift.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
I'm not sure either, if its a geared hub & ur cables good maybe the hub already aint well. I have a derailler & just back off a bit to unload it & roll the throttle back on to load it back up without caining it & it shifts no problem, either way

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
They also triangulate the motor to ur bike frame. Buy the deluxe kit. Measure ur seat tube & the bottom bracket so as to order the correct parts in the kit. Download the installation & freewheel maintanance data from their site. They do add a small amount of resistance over the standard set up but r a very good product. Well worth having. Cheers

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I'm sorry, should have been more specific. Does a shift kit utilize the gears already on the bike or does it come with its own?
It uses the gears on your bike as described on our web page. You can fine tune the gearing with our shaft output sprocket, or you can set things up in a variety of ratios with our various chainrings. But start off stock to get it all set up properly.

If you have a problematic derailleur, it will not heal itself. It should be in proper working order and a good/new chain to start. People have started with 25 year old worn chains, bent chains, etc and wondered why the chain broke after two rides.

Letting off the throttle a bit is fine, and shifting with engine power is all I do. No need to do all your shifting with pedal power. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not required.

Thanks,

Paul