steel lined cyliners

GoldenMotor.com

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Ive been hearing about some motors that now have steel lined cylinders. I believe they are made by grubbee. Does any one know where I could order a cylinder,and if that cylinder would fit an older unknown 66cc motor?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Right now, in the USA, Aleman is correct, but that is only in the USA. Steel lined cylinders DO EXIST on Grubee STARFIRE motors, which are not epa approved for sale in the USA yet, though they do sell most everywhere else in the world.
I was told they are seeking EPA approval for the StarFire motors this year and when that is done they should be available here as well. Also, I just read Grubee is making a steel lined cylinder for the SkyHawk Super Rat, which is also not yet EPA approved for sale in the USA. The Super Rat and StarFire motors are rumored to be approved for sale in the USA sometime this summer, will have to wait and see on that though....

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
We've been hearing rumors for 2 years now and never see anything actually materialize
from the Grubee brand products.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting. As time goes by the prices keep going up and it seems the quality keeps going down.

Unless you know something we don't know I'd say the 2 stroke market is slowly drying up.

TiM

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
We've been hearing rumors for 2 years now and never see anything actually materialize
from the Grubee brand products.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting. As time goes by the prices keep going up and it seems the quality keeps going down.

Unless you know something we don't know I'd say the 2 stroke market is slowly drying up.

TiM
The lined cylinders exist right now, but only on motors that are not approved for sale in the USA. The SkyHawk Super Rat is supposed to have the option for a lined cylinder in 2012, GasBike.net has apparently begun the process to get the Super Rat EPA approved for sale in the USA. For over a year I have been told the estimation for that approval is Summer 2012. At that point GasBike.net will be the sole US distributor for the Super Rat product.
Separately, I have been told the StarFire motors were going to be the next motor Grubee gets EPA certified, the estimation for that certification has been Summer 2012 as well. Starfire motors also have the option of a lined cylinder.
Whether the Summer 2012 estimation holds true is yet to be seen for either of these motors, however, I have been told this would be the earliest it is going to happen.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Any chance I could just buy a cylinder from some one?? I dont really need a whole new motor, i would just like a iron/steel cylinder for the durability.
Like I said, they are only on motors that are not selling in the usa (yet, due to lack of epa certification). I know Super Rat cylinders don't fit on regular SkyHawks, and I don't think StarFire cylinders will either, so you kinda need the whole motor not just the cylinders. I wouldn't hold your breath on any of it, "summer 2012" is what I heard and things never seem to happen when they are supposed to...

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
I'm not sure why anyone would want steel liners in the first place. Steel is tougher than iron but not harder. It is much softer. It dents and bends easier than iron which means it won't break as easy but it will sure deform easier. You want iron liners or plated bores.

And don't think that plated bores are somehow inherently bad, either. The china-girls may have an inferior plating than, say, an F1 car or a BMW but that doesn't mean that their iron liners would somehow be any better.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I think you are splitting hairs here, nobody said exactly what type of metal is used for the lining, but the quote on the Grubee website about the lined cylinder for the Super Rat that is coming this year says:
"New cylinder design with steel liner coming in 2012", the StarFire page says "Steel sleeve cylinder available in 2012".
So that is why I said steel...

trug

Jan 8, 2012
moscow, idaho
With the Chinese, steel is what you'll get.

laff
I think even steel may be generous, how about a light colored metal alloy with at least 3 or 4 ppm iron, 9 ppm carbon, with the balance being made of equal parts arsenic, spent fuel rods, municipal waste, and anti-freeze.

Last edited: