would anyone be interested in a ventrilo server?

GoldenMotor.com

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
just wondering if anyone would rather have a voice chat server then a chat box?

for those who don't know what ventrilo is, it's basically just a chat server, you can run other things while you're in ventrilo, then just press 1 key (you can set what key it is) and speak, with out stopping what you're doing.

this kinda stuff was originally intended as a a conference room type of thing for businesses, but as video conferencing became more viable due to better/faster internet infrastructure and service plans, audio only conference rooms kinda lost it's importance since you could have both audio and video pretty easily.

now it's mostly used by mmo gamers, or anyone else who has a community they'd like to speak with.

we could have a 24 or 32 person server for around $5 or $10 a month.

anyone interested? i don't mind setting it up, maintaining it and throwing in some money for it if it would indeed get used, and maybe if some people wanted to they could donate a few dollars every now and then to keep it running.

anyone interested?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I'm an officer in a MechWarrior4 unit. We use Vent all the time for communications. I think if there was a free way to do this it would be good for consulting and other activites.

I think mostly with these bikes that forums are speedy enough for most but if there was a free option then I would use it.

Skype? Is that free?

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i wasn't even really considering it as a big way to get answers, just a way for us to have conversations.

it's cheap enough where i could put up a years worth of service and make some of it back with a donations thing in my sig with out it being a problem. but if barely anyone is interested in using it, not much of a point.

skype does have a conference thing thats available for free, but i'm not a fan of it, and you need a skype account, with ventrillo you don't have to really register anything, we just enter the server information and our nickname and we're there chatting about what ever.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've had an active Skype account for more years than I care to remember lol, however I will say any live "chat" is fought with it's own problems - so much so some forums won't even consider a live text chat due to the issues it raises. We've had little problem with ours (thanks entirely to our exemplary memberbase), but there's the fact that any "chat" reduces the amount of permanent contributions to the forum itself - instead of posting observations, thoughts and concerns on the boards to be shared & searchable by all, they become transient with excellent potential lost, the more members that participate in the chats over the boards themselves, the more detrimental to the overall forum it becomes. Sadly, I've borne first hand witness to this on more than one occasion.

However - there is a problem with this: "and make some of it back with a donations thing in my sig with out it being a problem" as any solicitation for donations for any reason is expressly forbidden as defined in our rules: http://motorbicycling.com/f21/please-read-these-simple-rules-2.html#post205323... while I respect and appreciate the fact you're only offering your thoughts on how to make it work, not only is solicitation a rule infraction - were we actually to adopt a VOIP, not only would it need to be entirely free as we don't even ask for donations to support this forum, but it would have to be hosted and staffed by motorbicycling.com on our server for the protection of our memberbase.

I'm by no means discouraging the utilization of any live conversation between members, far from it - it's an excellent means of getting to know one another and enjoying the things we've in common, we even include such potential on the 'Profile Page' where you can offer your contact information regarding "Instant Messaging" which ofc includes VOIP... but I seriously doubt this forum will ever adopt an "official" motorbicycling.com live conference call, no matter the format.

Last edited:

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
eh, there are some things in your post i disagree with but since only 1 other person seems to be interested it's not worth having a debate over.