Canada - Nova Scotia - legal info

GoldenMotor.com

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Thought I'd post some info i dug up for Nova Scotian's after reading this news article. Funny...I was looking at the same 70th anniversary Supercycle a few days ago at Canadian tire, sharp looking color scheme and it looks like it's well made.

Anyway...

The Nova Scotia Motor Vehicle Act describes a bicycle with the following.

(.c.) "bicycle" means

(i) a vehicle propelled by human power upon which or in which a person may ride and that has two tandem wheels either of which is 350 millimetres or more in diameter or that has four wheels any two of which are 350 millimetres or more in diameter but does not include a wheelchair, or

(ii) a vehicle propelled by human and mechanical power that is fitted with pedals that are operable at all times to propel the bicycle, that has the same wheel requirements as set out in subclause (i) and that has an attached motor driven by electricity not producing more than 500 watts or with a piston displacement of not more than 50 cubic centimetres and is incapable of providing further assistance when the vehicle attains a speed of thirty kilometres per hour on level ground;

For the last while I've been thinking about doing a solo road trip this summer and I've never been to Nova Scotia. I bet it would be a ton of fun exploring the province on an MB. I'm thinking the fresh seafood would be a real tasty treat too :)

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
well buddy i tell ya im FROM Nova Scotia. And unlike Ontario the law is a little bit pre-occupied to bother some nut on a little old stinkin noisy bicycle :)

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Preoccupied? Does it get rowdy down there on the weekends or something? ...lol

I see most of the Atlantic provinces appear to be pretty friendly to DIY bikes. NS is open, over 14 years old + 18 bucks to register one for a year in NB and in PEI the highway traffic act say a "motor assisted pedal bicycle" is not considered a motor vehicle.

Road trip and fresh seafood anyone? ...lol

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
**** man id love to take a little roadtrip down that way but this year isnt in the cards for me... anything besides mabye a quick weekend visit taken by air haha

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I'm laughing because I'm eating home made clam as I read this. Going to PEI with the plan to buy a place and move there. One of the nice things is that when you retire the money follows you. The bad thing is that you have to be too old to retire.

Looked up PEI about MB rules and after an hour I couldn't really find any. One guy said in answer to a question about motorcycle licences that the course was 2 blocks around city hall with you getting directions from the car following you ,over a set of oneway headphones. He said the only person he ever heard of failing, didn't put his foot down at a stop sign.

Sounds like Vancouver.

I'm looking forward to the trip. Friend of mine who lives there said, welcome back to the 50's

Steve.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
you could probley mb across the island and back in a weekend and have a blast along the way. the northumberland straight has the warmest waters on the east coast of canada. so warm that jellyfish frequently close off a beach or two.

Come to think of it it would be a great place for a canadian death race or some sort of tour!

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Come to think of it it would be a great place for a canadian death race or some sort of tour!

All things considered yes it would be the perfect place cflg

I did some touring earlier with Google's street view which provided a fantastic look around the place, Google has the island pretty much covered! The road to Cape Breton Island is pretty narrow, couldn't see a speed limit sign but if it's an 80k road it might provide for an interesting ride on a bike traveling at half or less of that :eek:

Last edited:

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
thats the canso causway! im having all sorts of revelations of being back home now lol
cape breton's 2 laners are shift kit nessassary in alot of places were talking 5 k hillclimbs. beautiful scenery in the highlands tho

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Public asked for input on cycling rules
By ALEX BOUTILIER METRO HALIFAX

The Nova Scotia government is enlisting the public to help rewrite provisions for pedal and motorized bicycles in the Motor Vehicle Act.

Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations launched an online survey yesterday to get feedback on clarified definitions around bicycles, as well as several substantive changes.

Read More...Metro - Public asked for input on cycling rules

Feedback. Public submissions will be accepted until Sept. 14. Feedback can be sent via e-mail to [email protected], by mail or through the department’s website at gov.ns.ca/snsmr/.