New... Confused... Frustrated

GoldenMotor.com

aliston

Jun 24, 2009
Olney, IL
Hello I bought a used motorized bike...test rode it was great. I ran out of gas and put more in I believe it was 40:1. It ran for a little while than it just died. I replaced spark plug, but still nothing. Any help would be appreciated. zpt

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
We will probably need a few more details than that for a diagnosis. If you can get the rear wheel off the ground try removing the spark plug. Then while hand turning the wheel hold the metal side of the plug against the engine and see if you have a spark. That would be a simple first test anyway. An engine needs three things to run. Air, fuel, and spark. So start studying and eliminating possibilities until you find it. Good luck.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
20:1 is too rich no matter what oil you use.

Check for spark.
Check for fuel flow to the carb.
Remove the carb if both of those check out, and look for debris in the float bowl and jet.

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
They can but make sure that the plug wire is making a connection to the cdi before trashing it for a new one. I think its just a philips screw that makes a connection in there.

aliston

Jun 24, 2009
Olney, IL
Thanks for all the advice given so far. I have found my CDI was bad. I ordered a new one and it should be in Monday. Hopefully when it is installed it will run.

aliston
zpt