Finally got that head bolt fixed

GoldenMotor.com

JTalley

Jan 9, 2012
Sulphur, Oklahoma
I got my first motorized bicycle about two years ago, before I knew much of anything about engines. I ended up stripping out the hole for the head bolt. We fixed that, but had to make a bolt that would fit. That bolt broke, and there was no place to buy another like it, so the bike just sat for about a year and a half, give or take. My dad and I finally fixed that bolt, and as soon as I get new rings for it, I can try to start it up! I'll try and keep everyone updated with this, so plan on seeing some pics and a video.

JTalley

Jan 9, 2012
Sulphur, Oklahoma
The bolt is homemade- a combination of two bolts, one that will fit through the head, and one that bolts into the enlarged hole on the engine "block." I haven't reassembled it yet, because I'm waiting to get new rings for it. What's it supposed to be torqued to? It's one of the 66cc Chinese kits.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I torqued mine to 96inch pounds/8ft pounds. Some go higher. It's sort of the whole oil to gas ratio, a lot of people do it a bit differently. I don't think there's any real specifications for these engines sadly. But I would say the most important part of torquing them is so that they are all of equal torque.

If you dont have one, I got my torque wrench at harborfreight. Didn't want a cheapy but they were the only people that carried one that had inch-pounds