Home made motorbike legal?

GoldenMotor.com

scob89

Aug 10, 2010
Iowa
I'm in the middle of building a motor bike, but not from a kit.

To sum it up, I have a standard 26" mountain bike with a home made chopper form on the front and a 20" wheel on the front, the bike rides nice and handle great.

I can go two ways with the project, I have a wrecked Pocket Rocket(bent front for/tire) that was given to me, I can mount the engine on the chopper for and have a chain drive to the front tire, leaving the stock pedal system intact.

Or I could buy an electric motor and bolt it to the chopper fork.

Electric will be more of a pain due to battery weight

Which one would be better for Iowa? I'm only planning to go 35Mph or close to it.

Another possibility would be to make a trainer for the bike and rocket engine?

scob89

Aug 10, 2010
Iowa
How do I go about researching my state laws? I do know that if it's classified as a moped that I have to get a title for it, not really wanting to do that.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
You search Iowa's dmv website, but according to a thread I just checked here, looks like home-built motorbikes are completely illegal in your state. Another member from Iowa posted saying something about mopeds having to be registered and also requiring a manufacturer's certification label. In other words, they dont accept home-built motorbikes. An electric motor should be fine, though. I even saw a member on here that put a shift kit on an in-frame electric motor, though I dont know if its something he designed or something that is mass produced.