When does a motorized bicycle become a motorcycle?

GoldenMotor.com

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Hi -

If i built a motorized bike using this frame:

http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/alum-bike-frame-gt-2-a.htm

would it be a motorized bicycle, a motorcycle or something else?

The deal is I wouldn't be motorizing an existing bicycle. Gas-Tank in frame and horizontal rear dropouts, that sounds like a motorcycle to me

Technically the frame is not intended for use in a pedal-powered situation, in fact it is "designed to be motorized"

Motorized bicycles are legal in my area, but the cops still harass you if you are on one. If I was riding one with the said frame, I could see the cop classifying it as something other than a motorized bicycle and writing me a bunch of tickets etc. This is something I'd like to avoid.

.xx.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If it doesn't have pedals, it's a motorcycle. That simple. The frame you linked has a bottom bracket. That means it was designed to be pedal equipped.

Tom

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
If you are out riding some sort of motorized two wheeler, it's almost a sure bet you shall have some encounters with enforcement personnel.

I don't know that they would harass you, but they would surely be looking for money!

The motor vehicle department regs are kinda different in many jurisdictions.
You'll need to learn what they expect in yours, specifically.

Good luck with that!
rc

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
ahh ok thats the "line in the sand" I was looking for. If it has pedals and is capable of human-powered movement, that's enough to qualify it as a bicycle.

I'm well versed in my local rules/regulations about motorized bicycles, I just wanted to be sure that a machine built from such a frame would indeed be a bicycle.

There are alot of tweakers and other ****bags in my city, and their preferred method of transportation is bicycles/motorized bicycles, often with a trailer (butchered child carrier) full of aluminum cans or other items of equal value.

That being said, I want to be confident what I am riding is 100% legal as the splashback from these ****bags gets all over.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
ahh ok thats the "line in the sand" I was looking for. If it has pedals and is capable of human-powered movement, that's enough to qualify it as a bicycle.
Well, that's not exactly correct...

Working pedals would make it a moped.

But all that is up to interpretation by the enforcement agent who sees you go down the street.

Good luck
rc

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
ahh ok I can see the moped argument too, that would fall under the "something else" category in my original question.

As far as the interpretation of the law enforcement, speaking in complete sentences and good personal hygiene does wonders. :)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yes, I agree...

it's NOT ..who.. you are, but who you look like that makes the first impression.

Stealth is a valuable tactic!

Good luck
rc

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Would check your local DMV web site.
Just to further confuse things, here in CT, it only needs to be under 5HP with a seat height of 26" or more to be a "Motor Driven Cycle" Moped, motorized bicycle, ebike or scooter.

LOL, and find a passage most to your advantage and copy it.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Would check your local DMV web site.
Just to further confuse things, here in CT, it only needs to be under 5HP with a seat height of 26" or more to be a "Motor Driven Cycle" Moped, motorized bicycle, ebike or scooter.

LOL, and find a passage most to your advantage and copy it.
So a motor-driven cycle is different than a motorcycle. That explains these signs on freeway on-ramps and that I see motorcycles on the freeway all the time, infact they are invited to use the carpool lane.

So is this accurate?

A motorized bicycle is a motor-driven cycle
AND
A motorized bicycle cannot become a motorcycle

dance1

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Try and go straight to the horses mouth as it were and check your DMV. Every state is different. Add to that town or city laws or if they just follow the federal guidelines.

I am guessing your in AZ? This is a link http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/ Gonna take some digging to find out.

Laws and regs comes up a lot and some times folks will give you information that might not be up to date or not for your exact location. So it is really important to research local laws. A cop is not gonna take "...But I read..." as an excuse if your ridding some thing not legal for your location.

Last edited:

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Try and go straight to the horses mouth as it were and check your DMV. Every state is different. Add to that town or city laws or if they just follow the federal guidelines.

I am guessing your in AZ? This is a link http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/ Gonna take some digging to find out.

Laws and regs comes up a lot and some times folks will give you information that might not be up to date or not for your exact location. So it is really important to research local laws. A cop is not gonna take "...But I read..." as an excuse if your ridding some thing not legal for your location.
oh ya i know the law in AZ thats not a problem

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/47leg/2r/bills/hb2796h.pdf

I keep a copy of this on me and have used it to show law enforcement in the past. You cant expect these guys to know all the laws, they are just human.

If you have a state law, location inside said state should not matter in most cases as city laws or ordinances cannot take precedence over a state law.

My main concern was building a motorized bike that could be considered a motorcycle.

brnot

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
my bike is by no means a motorcycle, but it certainly looks like more than your average motorized bicycle. its got a big hockin two gallon tank, an extremely long header, a saddlebag, and possibly soon a suspension front end. yet the cops never stop me, and I pass them all the time (or rather they pass me, lol). im usually going at WOT, too.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
oh ya i know the law in AZ thats not a problem

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/47leg/2r/bills/hb2796h.pdf

I keep a copy of this on me and have used it to show law enforcement in the past. You cant expect these guys to know all the laws, they are just human.

If you have a state law, location inside said state should not matter in most cases as city laws or ordinances cannot take precedence over a state law.

My main concern was building a motorized bike that could be considered a motorcycle.

brnot
According to the PDF you showed...
Make sure it has operable pedals, don't put a greater than 48cc motor on it and don't operate it over 20mph.

I don't understand your question... If you know what the law is, what's the issue you're afraid of?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

When it looks like this......with the pedals removed.....

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/img1505fl.jpg/]
[/URL]

I certainly would not put a larger engine on a bicycle than this......212cc is pushin the envelope, honestly.

.wee.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
According to the PDF you showed...
Make sure it has operable pedals, don't put a greater than 48cc motor on it and don't operate it over 20mph.

I don't understand your question... If you know what the law is, what's the issue you're afraid of?
My concern is building something with a built-in tank that was "designed to be motorized" might be considered a motorcycle by a cowboy cop. It looks like as long as I have pedals I'm OK (frame wise).:-||

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida

When it looks like this......with the pedals removed.....

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/img1505fl.jpg/]
[/URL]

I certainly would not put a larger engine on a bicycle than this......212cc is pushin the envelope, honestly.

.wee.
ROTFLMAO....
That's just nucking futs!!!

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
My concern is building something with a built-in tank that was "designed to be motorized" might be considered a motorcycle by a cowboy cop. It looks like as long as I have pedals I'm OK (frame wise).:-||
Yeah, make SURE you have the ability to pedal and you should be just fine..

Just don't make it look like the above...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and you'll be good to go.

Remember, the fuzz is not going to check the cc's o your engine, but obvious 100+cc is gonna getcha..

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
The cc's of the engine.... Alot of riders here run 66cc that are stamped 48cc just for that reason :)

Last edited: