Police stopped me need help

GoldenMotor.com

Rwoods858

Mar 21, 2012
NJ
yesterday i got pulled over and the police said it was illegal.....i was wondering if anyone can prove that its not. let me know
thanks

wheelieking71

May 17, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
you should be able to find your states laws online easy enough. just start at "google" and keep digging. you will find them (took me about 10minutes to find ours when i first considered building a bike)

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Ok so you bought/built a motorized bicycle before finding out just what was legal for your state? Better go to the local D.M.V and have them look up just what is legal in your state and get it in writing with the state seal on it.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
Can't prove its not illegal, per se.

It IS legal.. BUT...

According to Law..

Operators must carry a valid driver license, registration certificate and insurance identification card while driving a MOPED. Failure to do so can result in a fine up to $50.

So if you have it registered, insured and have a license... It's perfectly legal.

Without it registered, etc... It's an unregistered moped and you're an un-insured (and if without a license, an unlicensed) driver.

So all you have to do is show the officer your registration, insurance card and your license and show him/her how "legal" it is.

Last edited:

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Can't prove its not illegal, per se.

It IS legal.. BUT...

According to Law..

Operators must carry a valid driver license, registration certificate and insurance identification card while driving a MOPED. Failure to do so can result in a fine up to $50.

So if you have it registered, insured and have a license... It's perfectly legal.

Without it registered, etc... It's an unregistered moped and you're an un-insured (and if without a license, an unlicensed) driver.
to bad a MOTORIZED BICYCLE is not a moped now if you would post a link to the laws pertaining to motorized bicycles in new jersey you might be helpful.duh.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
to bad a MOTORIZED BICYCLE is not a moped now if you would post a link to the laws pertaining to motorized bicycles in new jersey....
Sorry, but a "motorized bicycle" IS a moped according to NJ law..

Moped definition

A motorized bicycle, or moped, is defined by law as a pedal bicycle with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacementof less than 50 cubic centimeters, or no more than 1.5 brake horsepower,and is capable of a maximum speed of no more than 25 miles per hour on a flat surface. A ticket can be issued to moped operators if they are traveling faster than 25 mph in a 30 mph speed zone.Motorized tricycles are not legal in New Jersey and cannot beoperated on public roadways.

Last edited:

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Sorry, but a "motorized bicycle" IS a moped according to NJ law..
According to the NJ definition I think it could be argued that one of the kit engine built up bikes we see on here, and elsewhere, is not a moped or a motorized bicycle as they have defined them.

In New Jersey, a motorized bicycle, or MOPED, is defined by law as a
pedal bicycle with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement
of less than 50 cubic centimeters, or no more than 1.5 brake horsepower,
and is capable of a maximum speed of no more than 25 miles per hour on
a flat surface.
Typically our kit engine built up bikes feature a 66cc engine that has more than 1.5 hp and is capable of exceeding 25mph. Plain as day that's 3 key features that miss the mark of the definition as it's written.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Typically our kit engine built up bikes feature a 66cc engine that has more than 1.5 hp and is capable of exceeding 25mph. Plain as day that's 3 key features that miss the mark of the definition as it's written.[/QUOTE]

So, how will the authourities know what cc's or horsepower or top speed it has.
There is no way for them to know anything different than what you tell them.

They won't deem this issue important enough to spend the time or money to proove anything different than what you tell them, except unless you're clocked at speeding.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
it is a moped if under 50cc and it is a motorcycle if over 50 cc and those laws apply. they had the same thing in michigan. no seprerate laws for motorized bicycles. they were either a moped or a motorcycle. no gray area. only way to check the cc is pulling the piston out. most of the kits are not labled. mine was 80cc but i am sure the box just said that so it was 49cc lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Paul. I always wondered how often what was marked on the box matched the engine.

Is crazy here in CT. Any thing under 5 HP is a "motor driven cycle" Moped, scooter, motorized bicycle. Any thing with 3 wheels or less. Pedals or not.

I spent 6hrs at the DMV one day trying to get what the laws were. Back then it was under 50cc, it was a "motor assisted bicycle" A few months later it changed to the all inclusive "motor driven cycle" thing and I did not find out for 2 years.

Lesson learned there! Now I check the local DMV every few months. You could ask 100 people here and all will say it is still 50cc. Even well meaning folks can give ya bad information so I am sure to check.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
here in the virgin islands its kinda nice. they ride anything on the roads. atv's, lawnmowers, donkeys you name it. motorized bicycles not a problem. got pulled over on highway once...yes we have a highway on a 28 mile by 9 mile wide island. its only maybe only 8 miles long but its a highway. we call it the rastabahn. when it first opened most had never seen a higway so they were going both ways and couldnt understand why they built parallel roads. anyway the police pulled me over to check out my bike and find out where they can get one. police here have, horses, scooters, harley's, trek bicycles and of course cars and suv's

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, lolol. I'll pay for it Paul but I say we have a sign made, well 2. One for each end.

"Rastabahn Interstate Highway"
If ya get wet, you missed your exit. (Might make a better Tshirt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Z1ie1OdzE LOL! look at the skid marks about half way threw. Bet there are a few more not seen.

Were you in the tower?

Sorry about the off topic RWoods.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i bet thier are skid marks other places to lol

back on topic. everyone needs to be aware of the laws for your area. if you want to take a chance that is your call but be aware.

Rwoods858

Mar 21, 2012
NJ
i talked to a state officer who is pretty powerful and he said its legal because it doesnt certify as anything... bigger than 50cc(moped) and smaller than 500cc(motorcycle) i think its 500 idk