My little shop of horrors...

GoldenMotor.com

Yggdrasil

Sep 4, 2011
Greater Bangor Area
Today i got my Z280 motor, sure looks nice. Got right to work installing it when i ran into my first major problem... Coaster brake arm!

So i did some digging on the forums since i coudn't remember how on earth to take them off (panfully easy) so i went ahead and unscrewed my hub, all the guts fell out, and i spent about two hours trying to recall how coaster brake pads go back togeather...

only to get called into work as they were really busy...

get back home start in on the bike again, get the wheel/sprocket all put togeather, motor mounted, throttle, carb, cdi, clutch lever and when i went to go put the clutch togeather i did it backwards and ended up ruining the nice soldered tip on the cable, thinking I could be clever and just nip a bit off i broke 3 pairs of wire cutters trying to get through the (amazingly tough) chinese steel from ****... to no avail. I'm pooped for the evening, going to go the route of bicycle brake cable tomorrow until i can get me a new throttle cable online... did i mention this BGF kit had no instructions and I have yet to find any anywhere (there are partial bits and bobs on this site i've found, but no complete installation guides).

I know more than anything it was my own dumb excitment that did this, It seems to me the components in this kit are pretty well on par with what i remember from my old one. Just wish i remembered more about the installation :p

Sorry to rant, I figure you guys may understand the frustration, lol the wife is mad at me cuz i been grumpy all evening.

Cheers
Joe

:-||

Yggdrasil

Sep 4, 2011
Greater Bangor Area
Update: The bike now runs!!! Bought a cable at the local bike shop, got the clutch going, did some fiddle faddling, took my rear fender off so i can cut some notches and finally after fighting the tensioner for a good 2 hrs I came across a post here where someone had reported good success with running the chain sans tensioner, WORKS GREAT! I realize there is probably greater risk of chain coming off/getting pretty hurt if that sort of a thing were to happen, i got it pretty dang tight, thing it only has a quarter to half inch play total. Tuesday's payday and I'm probalby gonna get a drum brake for the front, and most definitely a NEW THROTTLE! as the one i have doesn't fit my bars right and sticks! first ride was WOT for about a block, things can make you sweat more than i remember.

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
thatsdax.com has a good manual with pics you can download

WOT is NOT good for a new motor!!!!
the mfg and dealers reccomd 15 to 20 mph for the first two gallons of breakin mixture.
also these things will quite often run HOT for about the first 100. 30 minutes running time and 10 or 15 minutes minimum cooling off. place your hand on either side plate and if you cannot keep it there for a least 6 or 7 seconds it is too hot. it will run cooler as it breaks in.

stay dry
guba

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Riding at WOT is necessary to properly marry the piston rings to the cylinder wall.
You should only do it for 3 to 5 seconds max though, then keep riding very mellow to allow any hot spots to cool down, then repeat after 10 minutes of mellow riding.
Some folks also believe in heat cycling an engine. I am one of those people.
gubba's recommendation of 30 minutes run and 10 to 15 cool down is very good advice.
I would let it fully cool down though, like an hour at least.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If I read your post correctly you said the throttle sticks. Is that why you rode at WOT?

If so, that's another argument FOR the kill switch.
Tom