New Alberta Law

GoldenMotor.com

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Good job ogre_power (^)

If I was close enough to shake your hand and buy you a cup I most certainly would.

Do ride safe and have much fun in all your travels and adventures this riding season :)

ogre_power

Nov 22, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Thank you Rockenstein,

Finding this information took less effort than building the kit bike.

Too bad we are a time zone away, I would take up your offer on a cup of joe and go for a cruz.

I am a fortunate owner of a Motoped.

Take care and see you around the forums. ;)

motorINmyFUTURE

May 12, 2011
canada
Hi, glad to find this discussion. Glad to see all the effort you are putting in. I was so intrigued I was motivated to register just so I could post a comment. We definitely need to do something. I was going to purchase a kit, when a little voice in the back of my head suggested more research on legality. The loop hole should be clarified. And if indeed under 50cc is now illegal , this is a terriable, this must be fought. There is a long standing tradition of this being allowed, and to now seemingly not allow under 50ccit when the environment and life style choices scream out that this is wrong wrong wrong.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Ahh yes I never bothered to think about the insurance industry...

Are we not at the point yet where we can safely count on bodily digits how many pies the insurance industry doesn't have a finger in? :rolleyes:
It's not just the insurance company...The government wants to shaft you into buying their HIGH price gas for some reason. I haven't seen a update on this vehicle as of yet.

YouTube - RMR: Rick and ZENN Car

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Here in Birmingham..(not as high as California) we pay $3.63/gal (approx 0.907 per/ltr for 87 to as high as $4.03/gal (approx $1.00/ltr). I burn diesel...$3.76/gal to $4.35/gal. We are getting screwed by our (both) government..NO energy plan. I remember the first (only time) I visited Canada... I saw gas so cheap it was about 5/8 of our price...Started pumping and noticed it was liters and not gallons. I really didn't need gas... cut off the pump and paid for my liter....LOL

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ron, That will get you every time. Like our 100 mile speed limit but it's kilometers or 62 miles per hour.

My buddy who was a cop in Ontario used to nab people from the U.S. all the time doing 80+ mph. They were a little shaken up when he told them the truth. If he got yes sir and I'm sorry that happened they usually went on their way. Wild driving and WTF are you talking about, didn't do so well.

Gas yesterday was $1.43.7. Today it's down to $1.40.7 a lite.
I was so happy I went out and drove a 100 miles just to celebrate.

Steve.

ogre_power

Nov 22, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
motorINmyFUTURE,

My interpretation and experience of Alberta rules, regulations and laws regarding the motor assisted bicycle should be used only lightly. I encourage you and any one else interested in the hobby to approach the local police for clarity and direction.

In the Province of Alberta, a bicycle is a bicycle. It does not matter what cc the engine may be or even of the bicycle is solar powered.

The rules, regulations, and laws for motor vehicles do not apply to the bicycle. However the rules, regulations and laws for bicycle operation applies.

The motor vehicle act and transportation laws are focused on manufactured vehicles. This is why in Alberta the new rules, regulations and laws only apply to manufactured electric bikes and mopeds. Motor assisted bicycles are kits. If the bicycle is manufactured with an engine, it is a moped. A moped manufacturer has to follow DOT regulations. A hobbiest who builds a motor assisted bicycle still has a bicycle.

Other provinces are too nervous or cowardly to allow these garage creations on the road. Because they are not identified anywhere in the motor vehicle act in Canada, Provinces practice their right to adjust the laws to serve them. ICBC in British Columbia is one entity that condemns motor assisted bicycles.

So, approach your local traffic sergeant where ever you are and ensure that you are safe within the municipality or city bylaws with engine size.

I have a "49 cc" 4 stroke and I keep the speed reasonable. I have put 250km's so far on the city streets of Edmonton with no problems.

Enjoy the hobby while we can, be safe, and do not be a dick on the streets.

Happy riding.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Ron, That will get you every time. Like our 100 mile speed limit but it's kilometers or 62 miles per hour.

My buddy who was a cop in Ontario used to nab people from the U.S. all the time doing 80+ mph. They were a little shaken up when he told them the truth. If he got yes sir and I'm sorry that happened they usually went on their way. Wild driving and WTF are you talking about, didn't do so well.

Gas yesterday was $1.43.7. Today it's down to $1.40.7 a lite.
I was so happy I went out and drove a 100 miles just to celebrate.

Steve.
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are........

Revolution87

Mar 16, 2012
Calgary
Does anyone know if there has been any changes since July of 2009 for Alberta regarding the legalities and classification of bikes with kits as "mopeds" or has anyone managed to obtain registration or insurance for one of these "things"?

I'd like to know if anything has changed in the last 3 years since I'm currently looking into having a 49cc motor kit installed in my pedal bike for some assistance. I have a semi-long commute to work which makes it infeasible to do with just my own two legs (unless of course I was Lance Armstrong). I'm sure I could make it to my workplace without to much trouble as its pretty much all downhill the problem of course is making it back home.

So if anyone has any information regarding legalities and what not that would be great. I fully intend to go through with this process and "ride discretely" if necessary, but would still like to know the current laws and join the fight if still necessary in helping to get these things legal without registration and insurance! I know they'd love to have their paws in this market as well if they can manage it. I'm surprised they haven't pressured the government into having regular old bicycles insured!

Also it seems that there's plenty of testimony for people not having issues with local authorities and what not, I'm just wondering if there is anyone that's had problems.

Lastly I just wanted to comment on one really stupid comment I read about electric powered bicycles being all green and good for the environment compared to ICE's. I wonder... where does that electricity come from to charge your batteries ? If you live in Alberta (like myself) the answer is probably coal from a power plant built before 1970 which happens to be very inefficient at creating electricity and very efficient at creating pollution. Also take into account that the transfer from your power plant to your house isn't even close to 100% (that is you lose a lot of energy in the transfer) and then you can add on top of that the inefficiencies of rechargeable batteries to find out that you're using WAY more power to run an electric bicycle than you are for a gas powered one.

Last edited:

Revolution87

Mar 16, 2012
Calgary
Hey thanks to HeliHaole, who sent me a great link which is quite recent. If anyone wants to check it out here it is:

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/enforcem...cycle-no-insurance-and-drivers-licence-ticket

I think one might mistakenly come to the conclusion that the article points towards the bike being illegal even though the case got thrown out. However, I think this has to do with specific B.C. Laws that might make the Mac bike specifically illegal... though I wouldn't let that hinder your riding if you're in B.C. since its a grey area as the article clearly points out... the chances of anyone actually getting a ticket for this are very small. Also if it were to happen you could probably fight it in court and have it thrown out.

RcHeliPro

May 10, 2014
Calgary, AB
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, and just would appreciate a couple answers to some of my questions. I am 15 years old, and live in Calgary. I recently ordered a Grubee Skyhawk GT5A 66cc motorized engine kit from motorize bicycles.ca

I plan on just riding the bike on sidewalks, and neinhourhood streets. Is this legal, and what requirements must I meet?

Thanks in advance!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Welcome to the forum. This has been much discussed but to make it short, bicycles with gasoline motors on them can not be used on the road in Canada according to Federal laws. Some police departments turn a blind eye to them and others will warn you and others will take the bike and fine you.

Ask your local police department what their policy is towards them since they are the ones who will cause you problems. Stay off the sidewalks. That is illegal most ever where and will get you noticed.

Electric bikes are legal but can't be over 500W and travel faster than 32KPH.

All the best what ever you decide and enjoy.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Your welcome. Here is the web site that will explain everything that you need to know. You can't travel on any portion of the road at all. Just on private property if you have a gasoline engine on your bicycle.

Many of our members in Canada do ride on the road and don't have problems but if you do run into an officer who knows the rules it can and here in B.C. where I live, it has gotten very expensive for fines.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but at least you have an idea of what to expect. You may be better off with a moped or scooter with the correct size of motor. it's all explained on the site.

Steve.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/PowerBikeMoped.pdf

RcHeliPro

May 10, 2014
Calgary, AB
Well then,

That is really disappointing news. How much would it cost to get the bike licenses and registered? I have a basic class 7 license..

Thanks

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Once again I wish I had better news for you but you can't. All motorized vehicles have an V.I.N. or Vehicle identification Number assigned to them from the factory that made them. This is on a plate with all the other information that is required by the government from the maker.
The problem is your bike frame wasn't made by a vehicle manufacturer so there is no vin plate to use to register your bike. Some of the U.S. states allow you to have a V.I.N. number assigned to a bicycle but it can't be done in Canada.

I'm afraid it's electric or nothing.

Steve.

RcHeliPro

May 10, 2014
Calgary, AB
Thanks again for the information. What is the risk factor involved in operating this kind of bike in Calgary, in regards to legality? I'm sure many Canadians do still use their motorized bike.