Motor started, not accelerating

GoldenMotor.com

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
I left my "jobsite" volunteering at the local hospital, got the bike started, and it would not accelerate. a lot of clattering noise was being made. I had to pedal and push the bike home. I removed the clutch cover (clutch not removed) removed the cover for the magneto, and removed the cover that holds the clutch lever, and re-lubed the pin and ball bearing. With the clutch lever disengaged I can push the bike with no resistance. I am now at the step to remove the clutch and see if I can see what is broken. It is all undisturbed and appears okay, except with the bike stationary, I can turn the clutch by hand, and it appears something is broken inside the motor. But what?
Motor is a Dax f-80 69cc. Can anyone give me a clue what it might be? And where do I go from here?
Many thanks for your opinions!
Dave

Last edited:

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
Thank you for your reply.... I have removed the clutch, and find that the gear that is in front (it looks like part of the crankshaft) that gear totally independent like it is broken. I can't get the screw loose so I can see what is behind it. I attempted to hold onto the nut at the magneto, but it just loosens the nut!
Is there an easy way I can keep everything still so I can remove the screw??

And yes the clutch was adjusted properly.
Thank you both for replying!!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
a 4.5mm allen wrench in the rear chain will hold it nicely - some folks just stick a small screwdriver between the 2 gears, but I don't really like to do that

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A copper penny will jam the gears and is soft enough that it won't hurt them.
If you can find one, an impact driver, or better yet an impact wrench with a large screwdriver tip will take that primary gear screw out. Whatever, make sure the driver fits the slot or you'll damage it so bad you won't be able to tighten it again.

If you're desperate a sharp center punch can be used to tap the screw loose. You'll need to set the punch to get a bite on the outer edge of the screw and tap it, turning counterclockwise. That takes some practice so be careful.

Tom

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
Boy that was simple!! I didn't think of using a center punch to knock it loose! A couple of taps and it was loose! I hope I can find the woodruff key at ACE or somewhere!!
Many thanks Tom!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You're quite welcome, and most Ace stores do carry a good selection of metric fasteners and hardware. Good luck and let us know how things work out for you.

Tom

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
Ace had quite a selection, but not the right size. Called the orange box store, no luck. Called Duane @ Dax asking for the correct size of the woodruff key, hoping he will get back to me tomorrow! I'll let you guys know when I am back on the road.
Many thanks to all!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Ace had quite a selection, but not the right size. Called the orange box store, no luck. Called Duane @ Dax asking for the correct size of the woodruff key, hoping he will get back to me tomorrow! I'll let you guys know when I am back on the road.
Many thanks to all!
Most are too big. Almost every HT I have replaced the keys on needed hand filing to get a good fit.
Some gloves and sandpaper on a hard surface seems to work best.

haoleboy

Feb 17, 2012
Redding, CA
I have ordered 2 woodruff keys since I was not able to get one locally, not able to measure with a micrometer... It would probably cost me just as much to run all over the place guessing which key or keys to get.....
Thanks for your inputs!