Snap Crackle Pop, Power Drop?

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I drilled out the last 2 screw bolts, now I am down to the small gear, the motor is apart though, crankshaft not separated.

And as for the impact driver I was using it wong, the wight way I discovered is to put a little torque on the screw bolt, then whack it.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
been a while since I saw someone new to impact drivers - next time you need to extract a broken stud, you can fit a socket to hold the extractor bit and usually get good results with that too

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
The cause is determined to be the lower piston rod bearing disintegrating.
I need a new crankshaft assembly, and a piston, ring, cylinder kit.

One would hope for better reliability with new parts, but....
Yeah, sure.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
You see there is one major problem us Canadians have, availability and S&H, a lot (not all) of those cheap $90.00 motors on ebay are not for sale to Canada. Besides, have you seen what they charge to ship it out? A lot of people just see the price, not the S&H charges.

At speeddemon.ca all my parts will cost me about $121.00 including taxes and S&H, to buy a whole new motor would cost me a whole lot more than that.

I get to rebuild my motor myself if I buy parts and better bearings, that's priceless.

But, and that's a big one!
C $93.01+S&H+ C $17.78+ import charges C $16.16 = $126.95

BGF $135.38

OK, so, maybe I should get a replacement motor from ebay, and work on rebuilding my motor later.

ALRIGHT, so that's not too bad actually, but what am I getting? Should I get the BGF, with the wider intake?
So what, they are all a CRAPshoot anyway

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Up to you. You might have more damage than you realize and you might still be dead in the water while you're waiting on a new engine. And another plus for installing a new engine and doing the workover, is that your down time is less and you can work on your old engine and then have a spare.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
That's the plan now DD.
I think I have learned that I should take my new motor apart and inspect it for metal filings and shavings or at the very least give it a few rinses with varsol or kerosene with the jug off and I will work the piston and crankshaft to flush out any metal shavings or filings out of the bearing.
Then lube it afterwards with oil.

May even be a good idea to strategically place a magnet somewhere in or outside the motor as a filing trap as a precaution.

It just sucks that this happens now as I have cash flow problems (none) and to use my credit card makes me nervous because unfortunately the CC is an emergency money source.
At least I still have my silver, bad time to sell it though.

I feel like a VLT gambler though, what's a few more dollars as I look at a new motor like it was a video lotto terminal! How long can I go with a nude bike? When do I get that call for a job?!

Oh well, at least I am still better off than 2/3rds of the worlds population.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
That's the plan now DD.
...May even be a good idea to strategically place a magnet somewhere in or outside the motor as a filing trap as a precaution...
Interesting idea.. Now to stare at a motor for a while and figure out where that spot could/would be.....

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
One could replace the wrist pin and crank pin with a magnet.
Just kidding. har har

A strong neodymium magnet(s) near the transfer ports? Would they catch the crap before it reached your piston and cylinder?
Lot of wind in there.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
That's the plan now DD.
I think I have learned that I should take my new motor apart and inspect it for metal filings and shavings or at the very least give it a few rinses with varsol or kerosene with the jug off and I will work the piston and crankshaft to flush out any metal shavings or filings out of the bearing.
Then lube it afterwards with oil.

May even be a good idea to strategically place a magnet somewhere in or outside the motor as a filing trap as a precaution.

It just sucks that this happens now as I have cash flow problems (none) and to use my credit card makes me nervous because unfortunately the CC is an emergency money source.
At least I still have my silver, bad time to sell it though.

I feel like a VLT gambler though, what's a few more dollars as I look at a new motor like it was a video lotto terminal! How long can I go with a nude bike? When do I get that call for a job?!

Oh well, at least I am still better off than 2/3rds of the worlds population.
I have very little as well. Which is why I don't use these bikes as transportation. I have my trucks for that. :D

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
I wonder if anybody knows if there is a quality crankshaft out there that will fit on these engines, like a Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki crankshaft?

I know they look quite similar, but I suppose if they would fit we would know about it.
I would just like to know I can get from point 'A' to point 'B' without worrying about a catastrophic engine failure. It's not like I would take my motorized bicycle to a time sensitive appointment and expect to get there, or go more than 10-15 k's from home lest I got to peddle back.
I've been bitten once, now I'm twice shy!

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
a nice three piece crank that bolts together so it can't get out of true and makes for easy big-end bearing replacement

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Yeah really, we can change all the bearings, but that one, (with reasonable ease) it,s like having a strong chain with a lead link, it's only as strong as the weakest link.

But then again all my other stock bearings are in perfect condition.