Google lying?

GoldenMotor.com

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
I like google. It's about the only search engine I use because it seems to return the most and best results. But...

On CNN Interactive I read a story. It seems that google was getting complaints because image searches for Michelle Obama would return images including one which is photoshopped to make her look like a monkey.

According to the CNN story, "Google faced a firestorm of criticism over the episode. First, it banned the Web site that posted the photo, saying it could spread a malware virus. Then, when the image appeared on another Web site, Google let the photo stand".

They have the right to ban any site from their search results if they find it offensive or whatever. But claiming that the site could spread a virus sounds like libel. (Libel, slander, whatever; I'm not a lawyer.)
There are many offensive images to be found with google searches. Britney Spears might not have wanted pics of her snatch spreading around the web (or maybe she did). Nick Nolte and James Brown would probably want their scary mug shots removed. Google has no problem returning "Bu$hitler" or cartoons of Bush as a monkey. George Bush and Mrs. Obama both have a serious case of monkey-face in my opinion.

I think Google searches should be able to return anything, and I mean anything. If the little google thumbnail image offends me, I can decide not to look at it and not go to its site.

BTW, I've seen that Obama pic months ago, maybe a year. Don't know why it's news now.

What do you folks think about these actions by Google?