braking bones

GoldenMotor.com

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
Hey everyone i just broke my wrist for the 3rd time on Halloween dirt bike riding with the guys...unfortunately im not allowed to weld and i cant hop on my bike (IM GOING INSANE). So im wondering how many of you guys have broke a bone and what you do/did on your down time???

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The last time I broke some bones was on a motorcycle... I wrecked pretty good & was out of work for 4 months!
In that time, I got into R/C car racing... TONS OF FUN!!!
I went through every kind of car there is; 10th scale on-road, buggies, monster trucks, but what I really fell in love with was 1/8 scale nitro on-road racing!!! (75+ MPH)
There are a few tracks here in LA, the one I used to hang out at 'Crystal Park Raceway'
is where a lot of factory sponsored racers hang out & practice.
If anyone here knows about 1/8 scales, I raced Swiss made SMP Slide's. They're all aluminum (not plastic)

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
The last time I broke some bones was on a motorcycle... I wrecked pretty good & was out of work for 4 months!
In that time, I got into R/C car racing... TONS OF FUN!!!
I went through every kind of car there is; 10th scale on-road, buggies, monster trucks, but what I really fell in love with was 1/8 scale nitro on-road racing!!! (75+ MPH)
There are a few tracks here in LA, the one I used to hang out at 'Crystal Park Raceway'
is where a lot of factory sponsored racers hang out & practice.
If anyone here knows about 1/8 scales, I raced Swiss made SMP Slide's. They're all aluminum (not plastic)

Wow, that is one sweet looking R/C car. The neighbor kid next door has one and I can't believe how fast it goes by here out in the street. I told him if I ever get into that hobby he is going to have to teach me how to drive one. I think he is only 12.

John

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Driving on the street & in parking lots is pretty easy... Driving on a real race track is very hard!!
It took me about 9 months (racing every weekend) before I could race hard without crashing!!
Other guy's get real mad when you crash into their $1000 car & send it into the wall!!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i used to skate with Alan Losi. i hear he's a real big shot in the RC world.

i broke my arm (skateboarding) about 3 years ago. luckily, it was summer, and i got a waterproof cast. i mostly sat around at my friend's pool all day getting drunk. i was loving it.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Hey everyone i just broke my wrist for the 3rd time on Halloween dirt bike riding with the guys...unfortunately im not allowed to weld and i cant hop on my bike (IM GOING INSANE). So im wondering how many of you guys have broke a bone and what you do/did on your down time???
Hey DD,
Uhhhh.....while I was recovering from a lightning strike back in 2004 ( Hurricane Jeanne ) all I could do was * puff,puff,pass*....I had spinal replacement surgery and a carbon fibre insert in my shoulder....so I actually had to have my girlfriend help me.... ( you have to love women )....I'm quite fine now....( kinda ).....I banged away on a laptop during recovery......cuz at the time I wasn't even aware of our MB's.........I don't know what to tell you except keep us posted on your recovery....good luck man !

Much obliged,
Salty.shft.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
i used to skate with Alan Losi. i hear he's a real big shot in the RC world.

i broke my arm (skateboarding) about 3 years ago. luckily, it was summer, and i got a waterproof cast. i mostly sat around at my friend's pool all day getting drunk. i was loving it.[/QUOTE

LOL :D.....birds of a feather huh ?.....LOL

Laughs,
Salty.shft.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Wow that one shot straight off topic!
Broken bones....Hmmm had over dozen, some included severed arteries, and other gruesome goodies to go along with the bones.
What did I do in my "recovery periods"?
Writhe in pain, sleep, writhe in pain, try to read, built a wing for an airplane, other stuff.

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
they make water proof casts?
Dang some of you guys have had some rough injuries hope you guys are back to normal
I go back to the orthopedic at the end of the week to get new x-rays and find out if i need some metal put in or not.
If i could only work the clutch on my MB... haha

thanks for all the posts so far guys and those R/C cars are sweet!

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
they make water proof casts?
Dang some of you guys have had some rough injuries hope you guys are back to normal
I go back to the orthopedic at the end of the week to get new x-rays and find out if i need some metal put in or not.
If i could only work the clutch on my MB... haha

thanks for all the posts so far guys and those R/C cars are sweet!
yeah they make waterproof casts....fiberglass....all mine were orange and blue !... LOL

Salty.shft.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
before you go in the jacuzzi or something, you might wanna ask your doctor if it really IS waterproof. the outer fiberglass is, but the inside padding might not be. if it's not, you'll end up with a stinky, rotting cast.

from the outside, you'd never know it was wet, and mine would dry out in less than an hour on the inside (it was summer at the time.)

i still "bagged" it when i was in the shower, because it's kinda uncomfortable when it's all soggy.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
This may sound corny but you could do some hiking in the woods or walking in the fields and just let nature calm your anxiety down . Donate some time to a kid relative and read to them . Exercise your core and legs to keep the blood flow going . This will help your recovery time . This may be an opportunity for you do find some new therapy . Been there many times with broken bones .

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey DD,
Uhhhh.....while I was recovering from a lightning strike back in 2004 ( Hurricane Jeanne ) all I could do was * puff,puff,pass*....I had spinal replacement surgery and a carbon fibre insert in my shoulder....so I actually had to have my girlfriend help me.... ( you have to love women )....I'm quite fine now....( kinda ).....I banged away on a laptop during recovery......cuz at the time I wasn't even aware of our MB's.........I don't know what to tell you except keep us posted on your recovery....good luck man !

Much obliged,
Salty.shft.
Hey Salty,
I'm also a lightning survivor, hit through my left ear in 1995. Lightning left bleeding burns between the eyes, out the forehead and crown where the lightning exited. Lost some hearing and have a traumatic brain injury as it burned some of the front lobe of my brain. No broken bones, though, at least not from that. Glad you made it. Glad I made it, too. By the way, I know of one fellow survivor who was hit while riding a bike in a rain and lightning storm. Not a good idea.
SB