My motor tops out at 30km/h, how do I fix this??

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Be sure to let us know what you find, 18 to 19 mph is low. My 48cc engines will do 30 to 31 mph on flat ground. The only other thing that comes to mind is a compression check, a engine with low compression will run but won't have any power. If you check the compression on a motor with that low milage it should be at least 80 psi.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
120 is probably about the average, my fastest bike is at 140. Maybe Stanley can check his to see where it's at.

Last edited:

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Best way to clean a stock muffler without cutting or mods is remove the cap & spray it thoroughly with brake cleaner.

.035 plug gap is a bit wide, I run 32 & my bike likes it. If reworking the jets don't help, try different gap settings. This also changes the timing: A smaller gap has less resistance so the charging capacitor in the CDI can achieve avalanch, or cascade effect sooner, releasing the volts to spark. We're only talking a couple milliseconds, but at 6000 RPMs or more, that can mean a couple of degrees. Too much gap can cause the capacitor to hold its charge too long, overheating it & lead to componant failure. An upgraded aftermarket CDI may help out too, some allow you to alter the timing curve with a jumper pin, so you can tune it to what your motor likes.

If jetting changes, plug gaps ang a free flowing exhaust don't fulfill your need for speed, there's always porting. Lots of China Girls get here with excessive casting flash in the transfer ports, litterally choking flow through the engine. This isn't a simple 1 day bolt on proposition, its major surgery. But then again, these little engines aren't complicated, after all, we are talking about 19th century technology. Research the topic using the google search bar at the top of the page. You would be surprised what 20 minutes with a Dremil can accomplish.

One more thing, is your air filter choking you? Run it around the block one time without it & see if your top speed improves.

Last edited:

Mighty_Max

Nov 20, 2013
Wisconsin
I will agree with 2door on this one based on experience. If you cant figure out how to clean the exhaust out, just buy another one though. They are cheap enough, and while your at it, you could go get a slightly better performing one too. There is a lot of information on the forum about people dinking with exhaust. As for the carb, make it as air tight as you can make it, it doesn't need to be perfect. I suspect that you are running far too rich on your fuel air mix. If you want to test, turn your fuel valve off while your running the bike after it has heated up and open up the throttle all the way on a long street til your fuel runs out. Just as its running out of fuel in the carb, your bike should sound better and go faster. If this is the case you definitely need a smaller jet.

StanlyManly

May 25, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
One of the easiest improvements is a free flowing exhaust, if you modify the pipe to flow better it will help your speed. It has on every one I've done, no matter if it were a 48cc or 66cc.
I have just bought a new exhaust and a new carb. I decided the stock exhaust probably wouldn't be good enough anyway, and I figured out there was a lot of clogging where I couldn't access, of exhaust packing! Let's see how this goes! I know it's the exhaust that is the problem because I tried running it with the exhaust off for a brief period and it seemed good.

StanlyManly

May 25, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Be sure to let us know what you find, 18 to 19 mph is low. My 48cc engines will do 30 to 31 mph on flat ground. The only other thing that comes to mind is a compression check, a engine with low compression will run but won't have any power. If you check the compression on a motor with that low milage it should be at least 80 psi.
Know of any videos/websites that show how to do a compression check, and how to fix compression?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
compression on these can be tricky

if you do something to raise it (like putting on a low-dome head in place of a high-dome head) and find no difference in compression, then you need to try to fix your flow instead, so you may end up raising the transfer ports by adding a thick base gasket to see if that helps

many other things can be done while checking for a performance increase until you find where the problem actually was

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Know of any videos/websites that show how to do a compression check, and how to fix compression?
Compression tests are easy Stanley ,all you need is a compression tester ,about $30 from a good auto retailer ,simply unscrew the spark plug ,screw in the tester and crank over the engine ,the reader will then give you your compression reading

StanlyManly

May 25, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
DAMN everyone's replies are so complicated!!! I'm such a noobie, but trying my hardest to get things right!! Just blew $50 on a new carb and exhuast and they didn't fix anything! It HAS to be the compression at this stage! I wish I could take this to a mechanic!

Compression tests are easy Stanley ,all you need is a compression tester ,about $30 from a good auto retailer ,simply unscrew the spark plug ,screw in the tester and crank over the engine ,the reader will then give you your compression reading
Finally! For once that sounds easy! How would I know if my compression is good/bad, and how would I then fix it?

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Any thing below 120 Psi ain't real flash.
If your compression is low you will need to take the head off to find out why.
It is very easy to take the head off, 4 nuts.
Improving compression has all been covered here many times.
But to do anything about your problem depends on what it is, if it was mine I'd have it all in bits with in about 10 - 15 min. I'd get a new gasket set replace the crap Chinese bearings and give the barrel a good tidy up, check port timings, trim the piston, check the squish, shave the head, port match the inlet and exhaust, ect.
and have the thing doing 65+ Km/hr no worries.