haveing no luck with 80cc spark

GoldenMotor.com

budwiseradam

May 5, 2009
canada
hi guys ,,im new to the site so i would like to say hello 1st ,,,,now any help would be great i got a motor kit from downtown here and it ran for two days ,then died ,,,i have no spark , so today i went and got a new CDI (black box with the blue&black wires with spark plug wire) and still no spark ,,if i hook up a meter to the blue and black wire from the motor i have power coming out ,but now this is where i think something is wrong now if i use the meter to see if anything shorted out with the wires coming out of the motor they all act like there connected ,,,any ideas how to get this puppy running again :-||

Last edited:

budwiseradam

May 5, 2009
canada
yes i tried all wires looks good ,,,how would i trouble shoot to find the problem ,,,i got a new CDI today ,,,that wasn't it grrrrrrrr could the magneto be dead already?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Disconnect the kill switch and give it a go.

CDI pack GOOD Mine
Black to Blue 1150kΩ 7.6 meg Ω
Black to Plug 2.6kΩ 2.17K Ω
Blue to Plug 1150kΩ OPEN

Magneto
Blue to White 327Ω 349Ω
Black to Blue 327Ω 347Ω
Black to White 2.1Ω 2.1Ω
Black to Gnd 0Ω 0.3Ω
Blue to Gnd 327Ω 347Ω
White to Gnd 2.1Ω 2.3Ω

budwiseradam

May 5, 2009
canada

CDI pack GOOD Mine
Blue to Plug 1150kΩ OPEN

Magneto
Blue to White 327Ω 349Ω
Black to Blue 327Ω 347Ω
Black to White 2.1Ω 2.1Ω
Black to Gnd 0Ω 0.3Ω
Blue to Gnd 327Ω 347Ω
White to Gnd 2.1Ω 2.3Ω
sorry realy new to this ,,,dont even know what them numbers mean ,,,,,and i dont have a kill switch

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
If you have a OHM meter you can check the CDI and Mag, if you replaced the CDI as you said and have no kill switch. And you have checked the wire connections and made sure your plug wire is making contact witht he CDI...and I assume you have tried a new spark plug? Then there is nothing left but to replace the mag.

P.S. Also pull the mag side cover off and make sure no wire has come undone at the mag.

budwiseradam

May 5, 2009
canada
thanks guys ,,i went and got a new magneto and it fired right up ,,,,sweet should have tried that 1st lol but now i have a spare cdi lol

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead

CDI pack GOOD Mine
Blue to Plug 1150kΩ OPEN

Magneto
Blue to White 327Ω 349Ω
Black to Blue 327Ω 347Ω
Black to White 2.1Ω 2.1Ω
Black to Gnd 0Ω 0.3Ω
Blue to Gnd 327Ω 347Ω
White to Gnd 2.1Ω 2.3Ω
You should make a sticky of these numbers . I saved them for future use.

marsrover

Mar 26, 2009
middle of nowhere
LOL i thought the spark plug was cracked in the metal in the center (where u can't see it)
happened to my tiny Kart thought the engine was shot then neighbor lets me have a new plug ran great the jet is scratched and cloged now

tincantalkie

Mar 12, 2009
illinios
Am i right in assuming If you have no spark the magneto should be suspected first, thats where spark is generated, the CDI regulates its firing?

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The kill switch should be suspected first, then wiring, and connectors. (including the plug wire) Then go to the mag or CDI.

budwiseradam

May 5, 2009
canada
well i went out in the rain today had the same thing ,,,no spark , put the 1st mag back in and it fired up ,,,so closed everything off and re taped the wires and it wound start again ,,,grrrrrrr whats going on , now im lost ,,,are they dead once they get wet

BakerRider

Sep 13, 2012
Bakersfield,Calif.
dude sometimes one of the wires on the magneto look like they are connected bu only the shield is ...you might try re-soldering the connection and yes they don't like getting wet...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sometimes you can rescue a wet coil by drying it for several days in a can of rice. It draws out all the moisture and will bring it back sometimes if water is the problem.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
dude sometimes one of the wires on the magneto look like they are connected bu only the shield is ...you might try re-soldering the connection and yes they don't like getting wet...
He, he, he - It's your first post and your responding to an old arse post. Been there and done that.

Welcome to the forum!

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
While we're on the subject, I don't think these numbers for the cdi box really mean anything. I don't believe there's any way to test a cdi box other than substitution.

CDI
Blue to Plug 1150kΩ OPEN

OTOH these numbers do matter for the magneto. I would say anything around 325-350 ohm is good for a magneto coil, blue to black. The black wire is grounded.

Magneto

Black to Blue 327Ω 347Ω
Black to Gnd 0Ω 0.3Ω
Blue to Gnd 327Ω 347Ω

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yeah, I've made the same mistake, not looking at dates. VERY FUNNY. The only real problem I have with this thread is almost everyone is calling a COIL a MAGNETO. Magneto coil is fine, But a Mag and a Coil are two separate and entirely different things. The reason I have a problem with this is because when we ask someone to describe a problem they need to be precise about which part or parts they are dealing with. YEAH, I KNOW, We all know what the person means, But I feel part of my responsibility is to help a newby out with as much precise information as possible.
I guess this is just a pet peeve, or possibly a :eek: OCD :eek: of mine.
fatdaddy.