2 stroke oil mixture

GoldenMotor.com

dustrider

Mar 21, 2017
Arizona
This will be a silly question for those of you with 2 stroke experience but when I think about choosing between a 2 or 4 stroke engine, the first question I have is; how inconvenient is is to maintain your oil ratio mixture? I assume that you just keep a container of oil with you and add it when you stop for gas. Do you measure it based on how much gas you buy or just wing it and splash a glug or 2 in? How critical is is to be precise if at all? I prefer many of the 2 stroke features but I also want the freedom to get gas on the go.
Thanks in advance

Feb 2, 2017
California
Just look at the ratio you'd like to mix and add accordingly. I run a 32:1 mixture so it's easy to mix even if you don't have a mixing bottle, just use a tablespoon..... it takes 4 tablespoons for a gallon of fuel.

I guess where you're getting at is if you are looking to top off the fuel tank and unsure how much is left in the tank or how much you just poured in there and how many ounces of 2 stroke oil to mix it with? Just guesstimate. Say you have a 2 liter tank, it's around half-empty (or half-full depending on you how you view the glass :)) so that would be approximately 1 liter of extra fuel you're topping off...... there are 3.78 liters to a gallon, I just round it off to 4. Assuming you are running a 32:1 mix, 1 liter is 1/4 of a gallon...... so that would make it 1 tablespoon of oil you pour in there. When you get used to pouring tablespoons, you will know approximately how much to pour without using the spoon, if you are unsure, just poor a little more than you think it needs. More oil won't cause destruction to motor as less oil does.

Most of the time you will be at home mixing fuel so it shouldn't be a big deal.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
^True, unless you're going more than 60 miles. That's about how long a tank lasts with mild pedaling. If using the throttle heavily, it's more like 25 in my experience (and I weight 125lbs.)

I don't care much about my two stroke now that I have a four stroke, so I pour 50:1 chainsaw gas in and then dump in some extra oil.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
^
I don't care much about my two stroke now that I have a four stroke, so I pour 50:1 chainsaw gas in and then dump in some extra oil.

Mine has been going 4 years on Echo 50:1 weed whacker mix.

If I'm going on a longer ride (or if I'm hauling the bike to another state), I'll take a qt can of the pre-mix gas with oil. It's a little more expensive, but it's sealed --- so no leaks, no contamination, no stink.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
^True, unless you're going more than 60 miles. That's about how long a tank lasts with mild pedaling. If using the throttle heavily, it's more like 25 in my experience (and I weight 125lbs.)

i've still got my 2-stroker on my bike, can't wait to get the 212 on there. i run it at 35:1 and have no problems. although, im 4 stroking at 25 mph, so any help here would be great. just pm me if you don't want to take the time to find my thread here.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.

For long trips, it's much better to carry some extra pre-mixed gas with you in a small container than to dump oil in the tank on the road... Correct oil mixture is kinda important. ;)

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I've been mixing in the tank on the go for years. I carry a couple of small bottles which hold the amount of oil to mix for one liter of gas. It's a quality synthetic and I pour it in the tank as the pump nozzle is going so it gets mixed well. Then when I put the cap back on I give the bike a shake or two just to be sure.

works for me

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I carry a clear-plastic condiment dispenser with a line to pour the oil to (carry a small bottle of that too). The container's mouth is large enough to accomdate the pump-nozzle; I blast a few ounces of 87-octane into it to whip up the oil, start filling the tank with one hand while spinning the mixture with the other, and finish up by dumping the mix in and giving the tank one last blast for good measure. I started doing this many Winters ago after too many instances of unmixed oil globbing up the carb. The colder the weather, the harder it is to mix the mix!

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
There is a mile's worth of gas/oil in the carb bowl.
I look in the tank, figure roughly how much gas there is and oil I'll need.
Dump the oil in, pour the gas in and it will mix with the fuel dumped in and the mile of riding.

I have used this system on my street legal KTM 125 and all my other 2 strokes when filling at the pumps while out on a ride. The occasional exception is with a couple tanks that are hard to see into. I just fill near the top, then measure off the oil and dump it in and top up. Then I ride like hades for the next mile to mix it up. YEE-Hawww!

dustrider

Mar 21, 2017
Arizona
Thanks to all for the input, my question has been answered. As this bike will be primary source of transportation and gas cans not really fun to haul around, 4 stroke sounds like the way to go. The 2 strokes look better but the 4 should have better low end torque anyway.
Thanks again!