49 higgins fd

GoldenMotor.com

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
1949 jc higgins boys 20" 3speed
Bumble bee bolt on kit

Moped shocks added to the sissy bar for a smoother ride.
The kit comes with a heavy duty bungee, but i was not getting the needed tension, so i found the crustiest spring in my scrap pile, and its a perfect tension (from an old trampoline)

Still not finished

Need to add stabilizing bars to keep the shock/sissy bar from folding

Does around 28-30 wot
Plenty fast for just a coaster brake.

Ill keep you all updated as progress ensues

Enjoy

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Please add a front brake. Don't want a friend hurt. Two brakes are always better than one.

There literally is no way to do so without modifying the frame. Which i cannot do. Not because i don't have the ability, just do not want to permanently change the originality of the frame, forks.

I appreciate the concern old friend.

I may eventually come across another moped front hub, at that point i will add the drum so as to have additional stopping power.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
There literally is no way to do so without modifying the frame. Which i cannot do. Not because i don't have the ability, just do not want to permanently change the originality of the frame, forks.

I appreciate the concern old friend.

I may eventually come across another moped front hub, at that point i will add the drum so as to have additional stopping power.
Nice bike!! Rear suspension seat must be nice.

Use a sturmey-archer drum hub. Costs $85 for the 90mm one and you need some spokes and a regular MTB lever, total cost under $120. One brake is ok IF it is on the front, but just a back brake is dangerous.

Frame or fork mods not required.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Shocks on a banana, cool. I could have used those back in the 60s on my
'expendable' Huffer. That bike was doomed the moment I coughed up $15
for it.