Wallyworld Fat Tire Mongoose

GoldenMotor.com

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
Here ya go !
One Wallyworld Fat Tire Mongoose w/ a 79cc Predator coming up.

Im not too sure about the tires, they look cheap, too cheap to be safe. I will probably get some Origin8 Devist8er tires to replace them

I ordered a 11 tooth 5/8" Max Torque Clutch & 4' #35 chain, 30 tooth #35 jackshaft input sprocket, 10 tooth #41 jackshaft output sprocket, adjustable bearing hangars, 12" 5/8" jacksahft, 5/8" jackshaft collars from OMB and a hub adaptor w/ 48 tooth sprocket from Manic Mechanic. I see I will probably have to modify the left seat stay to allow room for drive chain and modify the brake arm to allow drive sprocket to come out enough to give chain clearance to avoid tire rub issues. Im removing the governor and will prolly build a custom air filter box. Gas tank will be made from 22ga sheet steel.

I'm going to fabricate a custom exhaust using 3/4" EMT and probaly use a kit muffler since the bike is being built for a customer who wanted the bike reasonably quiet

Im videoing the build and will get the highlights on YTube here soon. more 2 come !

Here's the motor.

Yellow is where Im gonna cut the frame

here is the frame so far w/ 1 1/2" x 16" angle iron brazed in for motor mount

I will add 3/4" round tubing as indicated in yellow below. I shall fabricate a gas tank to fit in the yellow area.

Removed the governor as shown below

Last edited:

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
Id love any leads / ideas on setting up some front caliper brakes on this thing. Im not afraid to figure it out, but heck if someone has done it successfully Id love to hear about it. Not looking to make a speed demon here, just a fun toy that will do mebbe 25 and stop reasonably safe.

Last edited:

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
More progress, getting closer.

Used 3/4" round tube for top tubes.
You can see on seat stay where I heated up the tube to flatten it some to avoid chain rub isue w/ frame

Im going for industrial / minimal look. Using 1 1/4" pipe nipple for filler tube. Will use 1 1/4" cap to cap it up

Jackshaft setup looks good. I had to bend brake arm to allow sprocket to come out far enough to avoid chan - tire rub issues

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
You may want to consider using 1/2 IMC conduit instead of EMT. You could fab out a flange to connect to the engine. IMC is aluminium alloy where as EMT is galvanized steel. IMC is much safer to weld on. You'd need a 3/4 EMT bender to bend 1/2 IMC. There are a few other options for working with galvanized if that's what you choose to do.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Let me apologize IMC is galvanized steel also. It had been a while since I've worked with it. There is rigid aluminium and stainless steel conduit. If bending rigid with a hand bender use a hickey style bending technique. This video shows how to chemically remove galvanized coatings. IMC would still be better to use for welding since its thicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tld3onsUVE&sns=em

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Awesome fabrication build 4you2eat! Looks like it's gonna be a powerful smooth riding machine! Be careful with the fumes from welding galvanized, they're really bad for you. Sometimes when I have to use galvanized steel I'll preheat the piece with a torch if its mild steel to burn off most of that crap outside before I weld them inside. Even then, the fumes can cause migraines and stuff.

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
Yup I had a fan on when I brazed the pipe nipple into the tank and when I brazed the exhaust up. I'm going to add a 1/8" 90 for the bung on the back of the tank. The sheet steel for the tank is not galvanized. Getting closer to cranking her up. Waiting for some tank sealer to come in. I prefer to have some extra insurance of using sealer on tanks to be sure.

Last edited:

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
This is AWESOME! Wish I'd seen this before building mine.. (see "Raven" in the "from Barry's shop album".)
Raven looks awesome. Making me thinking about rigging up some springer forks for these fat tires.... heck I just might.

I have mine running now.. mebbe 25mph. Fast enough since I dont have a front brake yet

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
Got the beast running. just using the peanut tank while the fabricated tank is drying. She runs about 25mph. Fast enough considering no front brake

Still have some more work to do. Fit tank, front brake, rear fender, paint & graphics.
Still thinkin' on seat setup. might stay w/ the prostate bursting seat or go w/ a custom padded pan setup

Last edited:

BarryT

Dec 16, 2013
Corpus Christi, Texas
Thinking a little more about your build, I was surfing the net a few days ago and stumbled on a 125 cc Lifan 4 stroke with a 4 speed gearbox and manual clutch for about $250. I pondered how to stretch the frame a bit, going with a tank shifter, wondering if the kick starter would clear the front crank, etc. (besides breaking virtually every motor bike State law) and after looking at what you have done, I'm now salivating! Thanks!

Last edited:

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
OK. I figured out what I'm going to do w/ the bike. I shall auction it off for charity. I'm going to have a party w/ all my beer drinkin buds. We shall shoot the breeze, drink beverages and have an auction. The proceeds will benefit Operation Military Embrace which helps disabled vets and their families. The auction will be in Spring Texas @ Shifters Saloon Feb 1st.

I have to get busy and finish this puppy up

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
OK. I figured out what I'm going to do w/ the bike. I shall auction it off for charity. I'm going to have a party w/ all my beer drinkin buds. We shall shoot the breeze, drink beverages and have an auction. The proceeds will benefit Operation Military Embrace which helps disabled vets and their families. The auction will be in Spring Texas @ Shifters Saloon Feb 1st.

I have to get busy and finish this puppy up
thanks for your choosing a miliary charity !!!! srsly thank you ! this is comming from a man with invisable wounds.

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
Thank you sir ! I was once told when we have invisible wounds. The best way I can heal those wounds is to help others. Service to others and making an effort to help them can help us. It was during the most painful part of my life I was told that going thru it, I could learn from it and be more compassionate towards others. The act of true giving allows us to heal. Carry on.

It is time for me to give to those who gave. Thanks for your courage !

Now on to the build. Tomorrow I shall mount the gas tank. I might get the frame powder coated for free. A buddy of mine does powder coating and is a veteran.

Last edited:

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
Ok...a follow up w/ finished pics. I left the bike unpainted, removing all paint and showing the raw metal and my lovely brazing job on the tank. Covered it with clear coat. i aslo added a banana seat and front v brakes for the customer who bought it.

Reactions: slump