Circ clip eaten by piston and cylinder

GoldenMotor.com

Sharksfan

Nov 28, 2009
San Jose, CA.
This is what I found when I got my engine open today. the circ clip that holds in the wrist pin in place came out at speed and tore the sides of the piston and cylinder wall to shreds. Here are my questions,...

1) Where is the best place to get a top end re-build kit? (66cc 2-stroke)
2) What are the things I am going to want to look at when replacing the top end?
3)How can this be avoided in the future?

As always thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
This is what I found when I got my engine open today. the circ clip that holds in the wrist pin in place came out at speed and tore the sides of the piston and cylinder wall to shreds. Here are my questions,...

1) Where is the best place to get a top end re-build kit? (66cc 2-stroke)
2) What are the things I am going to want to look at when replacing the top end?
3)How can this be avoided in the future?

As always thanks for any help in advance.
The best way to avoid that from happening in the future is to pop for another motor!
Why go through all the bother of replacing half of it with new parts and then worry about it grenading again on you!
Unless you can account for every little bit and piece that came off from the last catistastrophic failure!
Who knows how many little bits are lurking in your case just waiting for the best time to deside to make their excape for the exit door!Kip.
[email protected]

spideyman

Aug 29, 2010
ontario
I agree with kipharley just buy another motor they are 99 here and think of the spare parts you would have!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
If you have warranty, use it for that, if not, try asking for parts on the chat box or looking in the swap/sell ads here. If you don't have any bottom end damage, surely you can use the parts, but after getting the top pieces, and gaskets, and taking the time to rebuild the whole thing, you might wish you had gotten the other motor. If you keep the old one for spares, you might be able to save by using things like the clutch pads/wheel, clutch arm, spring, studs, etc.

Last edited:

shanefoster

Feb 23, 2011
usa
If you don't accept any basal end damage, absolutely you can use the parts, but afterwards accepting the top pieces, and gaskets, and demography the time to clean the accomplished thing, you ability ambition you had gotten the added motor.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
id get a new motor:) but i will use any reason to buy a new one.lol i love having all the parts i need laying around now. but there has been a time or two iv missed good days to ride. and all because of some tiny piece i dont feel like paying $10 to ship..

so i have 3 full kits now. and only one bike of my own. i broke a gear on a ride this summer. 3 hours later i was on my bike again. and its not because im a fast worker. having what you need when you need it is sooooo nice. your motor will brake down again. be ready if you can.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
also, i was reading a post on things to to before you run your motor.. if im not mistaken, i think he used jb weld to keep his clips from coming out.. i would not think it to be a good idea myself. because i like to be able to get things apart. but something to think about.:)