eho35 and others.. Does the clutch go bad often?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I wondered how many clutches I would go through in an urban setting over a year or two? Still plotting my engine purchase. Also is Staton the best source for new motors out there? I would rather pay less than 200 but if that is the going rate I guess I will stick for a new one.

.flg.
Never had to change a clutch over a year or so.

JMO, used weedwhacker engines would be your best and cheapest bet. You could do the entire engine install for under $50.

You could do a push trailer for $200 or so.

The cheapest retail engine kit will set you back $400.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
If you already bought the rear friction drive assembly from bikemotorparts.com, try to mount it UP FRONT.

This will give you more loading space in the rear.

Install motor mount onto front fork. Note that the drive assembly mounting holes will be REVERSED and the engine is still on the left side.

Install your bearings,collars, roller and rear(now to be front) support struts onto your housing. Position housing next to motor mount. if everything aligns and roller contacts tire well, then drill the housing for NEW motor mount and support holes.

Then fabricate two endplates that adapt the support rods to the front fork dropouts. These plates are rectangular, about 1" x 2" size.(Or buy these from Staton.)
Find a short throttle cable, hook up kill switch, adjust the roller/tire contact and you're done..bld.

Your bike's steering feel will be sluggish at slow and walking speed. What the heck, your loaded bike will feel awkward anyway.

Good luck.