Ask a specific question

GoldenMotor.com

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
I rode my bike quite a bit today. My wife had to come and rescue me a couple of times with the SUV and bike rack. First time the chain came off and was tightly stuck. The second time the muffler came unscrewed and dropped off. I think I have the chain alignment as best as I'm going to get it on what turns out to be a warped rim. I will have to get some locktite for the nuts on the thing. I'm thinking of selling this bike if I can and get another kit and put it on a bike with front shocks. Things should go a lot smoother the second time. I guarantee you I won't have a clutch problem !

The bike sure attracts attention !!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
you should be able to straigten the rim better with a spoke wrench and yes do not ride without locktite. i sugest you use lock tite and all flimsy aluminum like both chain guards ect. they do rattle and things unscrew. i used locktite on every screw thier was after a couple things fell of.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Check out fleabay for front shocks forks with a oxy torch and some Yankee engineering you can make your bike sweeter. I like to use foam grips they help my sore old hands while riding my bicycle motor powered bikes. I sent you a key but it was returned so I'll try it again on Monday.
By the way the famous line from Terminator
SAY THATS A NICE BIKE.
Norman:ride2:

dgoria5

Mar 15, 2008
Hey i just finished my first bicycle. It started after several attempts and started running. However it is running pretty rough and at time the throttle does not repond at all. Also there is a weird noise that sounds like something scraping or hitting the inner wall. I'm not very knowledgable in these motors yet so any help would be great

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Did you assemble the carburator throttle correctly. Everything inside the brass bowl nothing outside except the tip of the throttle cable. if so you might have an air leak the most common problem with new builds I think.

If you have a leak most likely it is in the manifold tube. A rubber oring or some sealant on the tube will help.

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
Unbelievable !

Today I noticed fuel was running a steady stream down the carb. The engine was hard to start and when it did start had no power. At first I thought it was the seal on the float bowl so I made a new gasket for it. After I put that on it was still a steady stream so I took off the air filter and noticed it was soaking wet. I turned the fuel back on and a steady stream out the air filter...what the heck !!!???? So I studied the carb and noticed the float was full of fuel and did not float and thus didn't cut off the fuel flow. See Pic.
So I drilled a tiny hole and drained the fuel and sealed the hole and seam of the float. What next ???

Attachments

dgoria5

Mar 15, 2008
Unbelievable !

Today I noticed fuel was running a steady stream down the carb. The engine was hard to start and when it did start had no power. At first I thought it was the seal on the float bowl so I made a new gasket for it. After I put that on it was still a steady stream so I took off the air filter and noticed it was soaking wet. I turned the fuel back on and a steady stream out the air filter...what the heck !!!???? So I studied the carb and noticed the float was full of fuel and did not float and thus didn't cut off the fuel flow. See Pic.
So I drilled a tiny hole and drained the fuel and sealed the hole and seam of the float. What next ???
I had the same problem on my outboard motor last summer. If it still does not work after cleaning the float you should check the needle and seat. If the needle is worn than either get a new one or fix the current one. I'm not sure if this helps any but give it a try if all else fails.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Try to find yourself a new float if you couldn't see a crack or a hole it might leak again most over the counter epoxy will soften in gas it takes a special epoxy to handle gas. Check out the vendors for a float or the seller you bought the engine from. What did you use to seal the hole you drilled? I know the float is plastic but I'm not sure what type you might be able to heat seal it but then again you could be playing with a small bomb by doing that.

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
Your right Norman...I've used several different kinds of stuff and the gas has dissolved all of them. The vendor sent me a new float today.

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
Dumb question I'm sure...but how much difference does going to a larger sprocket do for hill climbing ?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
The larger you make the rear sprocket, the better it will climb hills. But it also hurts you on your top end speed....................

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
In my case I use the bike for city errands. All within five miles of my house usually. The hill climbing is more important to me. I have a large sprocket and a twenty inch rear wheel. I very seldom have to pedal assist it. Now and then on a very, very steep hill I will need to pedal a little bit but not very often at all. Even then not on the while hill just at the very worst of it.

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
Perhaps I didn't phrase my question very clearly. Say you have a hill that requires extensive peddle assist to go up with a 44T sprocket. and say you went to a 60T sprocket. Would you still need to peddle assist ? On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being little improvement and 10 being no peddle assist and power to spare how would you rate the improvement ? What percentage decline would the speed be ? I realize this is still subjective but I just want to know if the cost and extra power is worth the sacrifice in speed.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
from what i hear and not positive on this and andy could answer better per tooth you gain or loose 1/2 mph per tooth. i would think a 50 tooth you would not have to pedal assist. 60 you would be doing wheelies lol

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
If you went to a sixty tooth the difference on a scale of 1-10 would probably about 15. LIke Cruiser said 50 would probably be max. Well unless you are climbing some very steep hills.....................

bgoates

Mar 3, 2008
Danm ! I wish I had checked there before I ordered online. I'm going to build by college age son a bike for his birthday and he lives in a hilly area with a big hill to get to school. I ordered a 50t and we will see if it works.

Last edited by a moderator: