Vintage Style PVC Tank

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for all the positive comments guys! I guess the real question here is the durability of the JB Weld/PVC joints. All surfaces were roughened with 50 grit throughly and the amounts of the JBW applied to both surfaces allowed subtantial squeeze out. I have no doubt about the bonds and very little doubt about the effect of gas on the materials. However only time in use will prove the concept. I believe it is possible to use Kreem type sealers in a tank of this sort. Carefully done it should bond to the PVC well as the sealer has an MEK base solvent which I believe is the basis of the PVC glue. The only advantage I see there is the joints are shielded from the gas. Even though I have the mentioned sealer I am not using it to see if the bare materials are up to the job. Not sealing is one less step and expense. Guess we will just have to wait n see.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
A few pics of the tank mounted. The V on the fuel cap is not a handle, though it works well for one, but a double vent. Double vents reduce the effects fuel surge better than a single. The mount is all worked out. As a point of interest I final shaped the metal cradle for the mount which is around .100 thick on a piece of scrap PVC left over from the tank. Not only did it not break which I expected, but I can see no aparent damage. Reduces worry about a crash.

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Definitely looks slick. Not having the normal end caps really sets it apart. (as does all the little details)

Thanks for the dual vent tip. :) That looks trick too.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
If you do use a tank sealer make sure its not affected by ethanol.
the only one that I am aware of right now is made by Caswell and is a 2part clear epoxy kit. Have had to redo some tanks that were sealed with Kreem it it just bubbled up and turned into a mess.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
An update, after holding fuel for several weeks and some test riding there have been no problems with the bonded tank method. Will make it known if there are issues. Looking like another method with PVC.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
OK, I'll mark that down. We come down thru Greenville SC into Atlanta when we drive. Been trying to fly most times but we'll see.
Dan

zatdattyo

Apr 13, 2012
Tennessee
Yea like a vertical tank. I dont want to use that bulger that came in the kit. wouldent be so bad if it were recessed a lot deeper so ot sets lower on the bar. does any one nkow of a tank that would do that? maybe a motorcycle tank? Hang on Ethyl! Im gonna take this corner at its top speed! 30

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Ok, a bit of an inadvertant up date. Had the tank off the bike today to do some details before painting. Story short I knocked it off a shelf and it had abot a 5' fall to the floor. And of course it landed on the very point of the angle cut. Hit with such force it gently folded the aluminum end plate outward until it broke its bond. Strangely the PVC was not hurt, it just flexed. What I got besides a repair job was a chance to see the inside of the tank and how the bonding had done. All the materials, PVC and the JB Weld were in fine shape, no adverse affect from the fuel. In fact the bond was so good that as the plate separtated it pulled a layer of PVC away from the tank. Trust me JB is hard to remove. Had to sand the tank, and heat the end plate with a torch and scrape it with a razor blade. So the short is looks like this is a viable way to build a tank.

One last thought, since the PVC is so flexible perhaps bonding would be better with a 3M product for boats. It is a polyurethane bonding agent that is incredibly strong, should be fuel proof. Thing is it remains somewhat flexible over its life. This is probably the glue for this type of tank. You cant believe how strong this stuff is!