Now I own *two* DAX GT50r motors........

GoldenMotor.com

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Question.....

John, I haven't seen what the belt on the GEBE Kit looks like or what type of a belt it is, since you mentioned that you didn't think it would handle much more than the 1.6HP or so I am wondering now if I should be considering the Kit with the engine I had in mind for it, I was thinking about the 49cc 2 smoker I have included a pick of here, I have a bike I think this would make one heck of a good combo on if the kit will hold up to this engine.

What type of belt is used on with the GEBE KITs?

Thanks, Peace

Shan in super HOT DRY Central Texas.......wow it's bad here right now........!
Its a Gates belt and is probley not over 1/2 inch wide....
When I bought the kit I had read that some people had problems with the belts lasting no more than 500 miles before it gave them problems so I ordered a second belt for back up....
I weight 162 pounds and my belt was lined up perfectly,after 150 miles the belt had no wear on it,but stretched to the point were the belt tentioner roller was riding up against the drive gear and at 200 miles the belt snapped....
I put the extra belt I had ordered on it and havent put enought miles on it yet to know if it will last or not....
I am going to take the tentioner arm off and weld a 1/2 inch or so extention on it so as the belt stretches it the tentioner roller wont end up riding on the drive gear and get hung up and snap....
I hope this helps you out....I am very happy with my GEBE kit....I have been building and riding 2 stroke HT center mount happytime kits for 6 years now and like the GEBE kit 10 times better....It is super quiet,smooth,starts in 1 pull and gets great gas milage with no mixing of gas....The 1.6 HP Subaru/Robin engine has plenty of power to pull me up hills while gaining speed and on level ground goes 30MPH....
John

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks John,

IGates makes Kevlar reinforced belts, I wonder if they make them in the type of belt the GEBE kits use.

Are the belts just a V belt design?

Its a Gates belt and is probley not over 1/2 inch wide....
When I bought the kit I had read that some people had problems with the belts lasting no more than 500 miles before it gave them problems so I ordered a second belt for back up....
I weight 162 pounds and my belt was lined up perfectly,after 150 miles the belt had no wear on it,but stretched to the point were the belt tentioner roller was riding up against the drive gear and at 200 miles the belt snapped....
I put the extra belt I had ordered on it and havent put enought miles on it yet to know if it will last or not....
I am going to take the tentioner arm off and weld a 1/2 inch or so extention on it so as the belt stretches it the tentioner roller wont end up riding on the drive gear and get hung up and snap....
I hope this helps you out....I am very happy with my GEBE kit....I have been building and riding 2 stroke HT center mount happytime kits for 6 years now and like the GEBE kit 10 times better....It is super quiet,smooth,starts in 1 pull and gets great gas milage with no mixing of gas....The 1.6 HP Subaru/Robin engine has plenty of power to pull me up hills while gaining speed and on level ground goes 30MPH....
John

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Gates makes Kevlar reinforced belts, I wonder if they make them in the type of belt the GEBE kits use.

Are the belts just a V belt design?
The GEBE belt is Kevlar reinforced and is only made for GEBE by Gates
in that long length.
V belt?
You must have never looked at the GEBE wesite as their belt is a
toothed design which mates with their snap on rear wheel sprocket
and motor gear.

There is an older GEBE belt that is not kevlar reinforced.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have looked at the website and have since seen the belt used in these kits, it's what is often refered to as a cogged timing type belt, where I work now we use this type of belt on many types of machinery, from very short to very long in many SAE & Metric tooth pitches and widths

It's hard for me to believe that gates has tooled up specifically to make a special demensioned belt just for the GEBE kits.......that type of belt is widely use in many industrial applications so I would think it wouldn't be a hard item to come by through a good industrial supply like Kaman or Mcmastercarr or Motion Industries.

If I'm wrong on this I'll admit it but does GEBE really sale a high enough volume of these kits to justify a major manufacturer tooling up and making a special belt just for them.....????

At any rate none of that really matters, all I know is that I really want one of those kits now and plan to get one real soon, I have a nice 26" Schwinn Comfort bike that would do just dandy with that set up I'm sure, just not sure which engine I wont yet.

Peace

The GEBE belt is Kevlar reinforced and is only made for GEBE by Gates
in that long length.
V belt?
You must have never looked at the GEBE wesite as their belt is a
toothed design which mates with their snap on rear wheel sprocket
and motor gear.

There is an older GEBE belt that is not kevlar reinforced.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks for the great advice John,

From my home to my work is 16 miles one way with a couple of so so hills, how does the EHO 35 do on the hills and does it cruise at 30+MPH on the flat that is what I need it to do because I have such a long trip, hills are not huge or long but the main thing I want is the 30+ MPH cruise speed, I can cruise at a comfortable 30-32mph now on 2 of my china girl bikes and that is ideal for an 8 mile trip to town or the 16 miles to work at 5:00AM in the morning.

I really need more than 20 something mph so I dont have to leave my house at 4 something AM in the morning.

Peace

Mapbike,go with the Subaru/Robin EHO 35 engine,its great!!!!You cant go wrong....Its quiet,smooth and pulls real good....
John

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Mapbike,I have a 26 inch bike with farely smooth tires and on flat ground I am hitting 28 mph and sometimes up to 30....If you want to be able to stay at atleast 30 MPH all the time you might want to go with the Honda 2.2 hp engine or something else....The Subaru is rated to be a better quality engine than the Honda,but probley not by much....
There is a motor that is 4.2 HP and from what I hear it is of high quality....Here is the website....bb885
I hear people are getting top speeds around 50 with it....
Hope this helps....
John

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Again John Thank you very much I will go to that link and check it out, 50mph would be a bit much for me but if something is capable of that it should have plenty of giddy-up for the 30 MPH cruise speed and should be very good on the hills also, 28mph is still pretty good for a cruise speed though, I would just like to have a 3-5mph more on the flat for a little quicker trips if possible.

Thanks again, and keep the good advice coming I really appreciate it.

Peace, Shan

Mapbike,I have a 26 inch bike with farely smooth tires and on flat ground I am hitting 28 mph and sometimes up to 30....If you want to be able to stay at atleast 30 MPH all the time you might want to go with the Honda 2.2 hp engine or something else....The Subaru is rated to be a better quality engine than the Honda,but probley not by much....
There is a motor that is 4.2 HP and from what I hear it is of high quality....Here is the website....bb885
I hear people are getting top speeds around 50 with it....
Hope this helps....
John

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
John

Just looked at that engine, yeah I have seen that GP460 before and was thinking seriously about one of those, Dave shows to be out of stock on them right now but may get some more in by the time I'm ready to order my GEBE Kit, I noticed that there is also a few more engines that might work out pretty good on davesmotors.com, check out this one and tell me what you think about it, bb15xx

It's only 3HP but I'm thinking it might just do what I want and get that 30-32mph I'm looking for.....?????

Shan

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
John

Just looked at that engine, yeah I have seen that GP460 before and was thinking seriously about one of those, Dave shows to be out of stock on them right now but may get some more in by the time I'm ready to order my GEBE Kit, I noticed that there is also a few more engines that might work out pretty good on davesmotors.com, check out this one and tell me what you think about it, bb15xx

It's only 3HP but I'm thinking it might just do what I want and get that 30-32mph I'm looking for.....?????

Shan
That engine is almost twice the HP of the Subaru so I see no reason you wouldnt hit 35 MPH all day long....I have never owned one of Daves engines and am only going by what I have heard from others on the websites....Everyone has had nothing but good things to say about them....
I would wait for the GP460 engine,but this 3 HP engine looks nice to....I have not heard any reviews from web posters on this engine though....
John

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know the 4 stroke engines are much less hassle with not needing to use premix oil/gas but I think the 2 smoker is the only engine that will give me the extra power and speed I'm looking for otherwise I would go with the 4 stroke in a second.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
John

I dont see where it says what the rear wheel drive pulley is made of, is it Alum. Steel or some type of plastic material?

Peace
If your talking about the GEBE drive ring that mounts to the rear rim of your bike,its made of aerospace composite plastic of some sort....Much better than steel or aluminum.....it wont warp or bend,it just flexes and goes back to its shape if you twist it(thats before you mount it on the rim)....
Someone also mentioned that Daves smaller cc engines probley would not have much torq for take off and you would have to use a gear that would give you lots less top speed but better take off....I dont know if this is true,but would look into it before buying the smaller cc engine....
John

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ok good to know it is made of a composite material, that will make it lite and like you said cant warp or bend out of shape, I know form experience that there are plastics now that will run circles around alum. or steel in many applications.

Yeah I had thought about the torque issue last night, the HP ratings are at very high RPM's and until the engine reaches that point it will likely be pretty sluggish if it has to pull much of a load.

I think I'm gonna try a cheaper 49cc 2 stroke in the begginning and then I may invest in a higher end 2 stroke later on when the cheapy gives up the ghost.

If your talking about the GEBE drive ring that mounts to the rear rim of your bike,its made of aerospace composite plastic of some sort....Much better than steel or aluminum.....it wont warp or bend,it just flexes and goes back to its shape if you twist it(thats before you mount it on the rim)....
Someone also mentioned that Daves smaller cc engines probley would not have much torq for take off and you would have to use a gear that would give you lots less top speed but better take off....I dont know if this is true,but would look into it before buying the smaller cc engine....
John

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yeah thats the one I was thinking of, $119.00 is a great price, I could get 2 of those engines for what one of some of the others cost.

Thanks for the link John, I had seen that a while back when I was looking for parts for my Roketa Scooter and then forgot all about it, I look at so much junk on this computer I forget about stuff, I have my favorites loaded with web sites of interest and then I seem to forget about them all the time.......

Peace

Mapbike,I have heard of alot of people using the 49-52cc monster motor with lots of luck....Check out this website....
49cc/52cc Scooter Engine with Manual Pull Start
For 119.00 you cant go wrong....
Johnbrnot

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Yeah thats the one I was thinking of, $119.00 is a great price, I could get 2 of those engines for what one of some of the others cost.

Thanks for the link John, I had seen that a while back when I was looking for parts for my Roketa Scooter and then forgot all about it, I look at so much junk on this computer I forget about stuff, I have my favorites loaded with web sites of interest and then I seem to forget about them all the time.......

Peace
I have talked to several people that have bought the monster engine and have never heard once on the webboards of one breaking down yet....I wonder how much power it has....It doesent say on the site....One other this is that you would have to buy a gas tank from them for around 20 bucks....
John

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yeah I'm sure it is a clone of a major name brand, maybe Tanaka....?

As to the power of it, I would think that at 49cc's it should be at least 2-2.5HP could be a bit more but probably not much maybe 3 at max RPM, I know I've seen some board scooters with those engines on them that seem to run pretty good, I've thought real seriously about sticking one of them on a DAX Friction Drive Kit for my wife on her 24" bike, that would be a pretty inexpension set up, less than $300 ish.

I'll bet that little engine will do a good job, I just wish it came with a fuel tank, here is the same engine with a differnt color shroud that comes with a tank and a few other goodies for $135 shipped....... what do ya think about this one?
49CC 2-STROKE ENGINE PULL START SUPER BIKE CHOPPER QUAD | eBay

I have talked to several people that have bought the monster engine and have never heard once on the webboards of one breaking down yet....I wonder how much power it has....It doesent say on the site....
John

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Yeah I'm sure it is a clone of a major name brand, maybe Tanaka....?

As to the power of it, I would think that at 49cc's it should be at least 2-2.5HP could be a bit more but probably not much maybe 3 at max RPM, I know I've seen some board scooters with those engines on them that seem to run pretty good, I've thought real seriously about sticking one of them on a DAX Friction Drive Kit for my wife on her 24" bike, that would be a pretty inexpension set up, less than $300 ish.

I'll bet that little engine will do a good job, I just wish it came with a fuel tank, here is the same engine with a differnt color shroud that comes with a tank and a few other goodies for $135 shipped....... what do ya think about this one?
49CC 2-STROKE ENGINE PULL START SUPER BIKE CHOPPER QUAD | eBay
Looks ok,but dont know if its the exact same engine as the monster....
John