Dollar general 2 stroke oil

GoldenMotor.com

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
Ok guys I was at the dollar general killing time and i noticed 2 stroke oil for ...80 cents a bottle then i looked even closer and read coastal 50:1 oil is this true have you tried it and how do you like it

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
One of my neighbors gave me a gallon of Bombadier 2 stroke oil for his jet ski that he doesn't have anymore. I've been running 50:1 with it for quite a few tank fulls. Haven't had a problem and I run my engine HARD.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Ok guys I was at the dollar general killing time and i noticed 2 stroke oil for ...80 cents a bottle then i looked even closer and read coastal 50:1 oil is this true have you tried it and how do you like it
Not to be an ass or anything, but shouldn't this post be in general discussion or something more related to the topic??? Am I missing something here?

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
yep it should, i guess i got over excited and posted in the wrong place, my bad and I apologize whole heartily. I'm sure a moderator can move it and NOT give me another warning the error of my ways have already been pointed out thanks

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
All lies! :p

Just kidding.

I'm just waiting for my current jerrycan to run out as I've already pre-mixed it with 32:1 Valvoline so I can mix up some 100:1 Opti-2 oil instead.

That aside, the only way to know if the 50:1 is true I think is just to run it. Not a long run, but a decent one so the engine can burn some of it up. Then check the spark plug and see how it colours, whether too thick, or thin, or just right, the mix.

I can't do that at the moment for myself as I don't have anything to remove spark plugs from the states, only standard Australian sizes, so I need to hunt for one... which is annoying because I can't check how well my Valvoline mixes...

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Thankyou bitsnpieces for the good idea to check the sparkplug. I don't know much and I have even less experience, may I add that I wouldn't eat any food from the dollar store and I wouldn't put their oil in an engine. Ive never heard anything negative about dollar store merchandise, my decision is based only on a feeling. Thanks again.

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Just read a post which reminded me which colour meant what and what you want is a good brown colour.

If it's black, too much oil; mix less. If it's gray/white, not enough oil; mix more.

Happy riding. :)

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Just read a post which reminded me which colour meant what and what you want is a good brown colour.

If it's black, too much oil; mix less. If it's gray/white, not enough oil; mix more.

Happy riding. :)
I was always taught that you read the plug that way for the right fuel/air ratio, not fuel/oil ratio. Brown is good, lighter is too lean, and dark is too rich

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Love them Dollar General Burritos! Jokes aside, these little motors don't care what brand of oil they get. 50:1 is rich. I like 32:1 but that's just me. Mix it as you like. It's your bike. :) Then again I do wonder why dollar store bread costs 1.29 rotfl

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
I was always taught that you read the plug that way for the right fuel/air ratio, not fuel/oil ratio. Brown is good, lighter is too lean, and dark is too rich
That could be it; I can't remember, just remembered the colours.

I just thought it was fuel and oil under the presumption of bad or good mixes, whereas air played more of carrying the fuel and oil into the chamber to burn.
But fuel to air makes sense too, but if that's the case, how would you check how well your mixes are?

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
any better/worse performance that you have noticed?
No better, no worse. Still smokes a bit as if I was running 20:1. Only benefit seems to be that I use less oil.

Ya gotta remember though that the oil ratio they give you when you buy a new motor is for using regular 30 weight oil to mix with your gas. An probably dirty 30 weight at that. Doubt many chinese can just run out to the store and buy 2 stroke oil whenever they need it.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I can't do that at the moment for myself as I don't have anything to remove spark plugs from the states, only standard Australian sizes, so I need to hunt for one... which is annoying because I can't check how well my Valvoline mixes...
what size are austrailian spark plug sizes????,I thought sae and metric was world wide??,,,????xct2 xct2

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
5/8 (16mm) SP
13/16 (21mm) SP

That's what they say on my spark plug removers.

Terry told me that the spark used was a 3/4.

My question at hand is, does that mean I need to get my spark plugs internationally? Or will the Australian ones still fit, just requires a different sprocket size to get them in/out?

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
5/8 (16mm) SP
13/16 (21mm) SP

That's what they say on my spark plug removers.

Terry told me that the spark used was a 3/4.

My question at hand is, does that mean I need to get my spark plugs internationally? Or will the Australian ones still fit, just requires a different sprocket size to get them in/out?
dude here in the states we use whatever fits bust our nuts bolts threads are made everywhere i have standard and sae and i never worry about mm size just find one that fits tight and use it im sure you have a 2 dollar mower plug remover that will work fine intact 3/4 plugs are only common on mowers and outboard's over here and as far as i know my bikes take a 3/4 on every plug which is only 3 so far Ive used 13/16 will work fine 12/16 is 3/4 just my 2 cents

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
13/16 is just a little too big and it slips when trying to turn, whilst 5/8 is just a little too small.

I know what you mean by using whatever fits, heck, I would have manually done it with a spanner or wrench, but even then I don't have any that fit.
Even if I did, because of the angle fire, the grills get in the way, thus I need a sprocket that fits perfectly over.

Oh the annoyance of angle fire...