heat protection

GoldenMotor.com

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
mounted my expansion chamber in the up position. looks really cool, gives me clearance at the bottom of the bike, and is very secure. i am a little worried about burning my leg though. is there some kind of insulating wrap or material that i can use to protect my leg?

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
can you put some kind of covering on the header wrap. fiber glass on my inner thigh doesn't sound like much fun.

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
asbestos pants sound like a good idea. LOL. maybe i'll order a whole bunch of those
ov-gloves and tape them to the muffler. thought about fabricating a heat shield but didn't want to get to crazy with it. i haven't been able to take my bike out for a ride yet so i'm not entirely sure how much protection i'll really need.

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
What I would like to know about the tuner pipe is,are they loud or as loud as the stock muffler? What is the power gain,if any ? Why would you draw attention to yourself ? The simple fact that 99% of us are riding illegaly !

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
Kyle, I have the SBP pipe mounted in the up position. I wrapped the complete setup in header wrap. Then I wrapped just the expansion part (from where the pipe meets J pipe to the end of the muffler) with black felt. I bought the felt from a fabric store. I cut 2 inch wide strips and wrapped it securing it at both ends with stainless steel cable ties. It is great. The felt gives a little more heat protection and more importantly feels good against the skin. BTW you don't have to wrap the header and what not with header wrap I just thought it looked better.

Attachments

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
taddthewadd, looks good! i wouldn't think the felt would work. i took an extra chain guard from a stock kit and cut a chunk out, bolted it where my leg would touch. not as pretty as your method. thought it might work.

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
What I would like to know about the tuner pipe is,are they loud or as loud as the stock muffler? What is the power gain,if any ? Why would you draw attention to yourself ? The simple fact that 99% of us are riding illegaly !
they are a bit louder and a lot more deeper sounding. i can't say much for the attention. i'm the only one so far in my town with an MB and i get attention everyday, most people are blown away by it. i live right on main street and a block away from a police station so far nobody's given me a hard time. as for the tuned pipe, best bolt on i spent money on! I got way more torque out of it than i expected. and they look way cooler than the stock muffler.

nolan_speed

May 31, 2010
Seattle, WA
You can buy a silicone spray meant to be sprayed on header wrap, check Summit racing or Jegs. it'll seal the header wrap and keep you from getting itchy, they make it in black, silver and blue I believe. If you have a bunch of extra non spray silicone laying around you could try spreading that around too.

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
header wrap worked great. the silicone sealant smoked a bit as it cured for the first run. although it did make a sticky black mess on my jeans then the iron ore stains when i wiped out on a trail.

nolan_speed

May 31, 2010
Seattle, WA
Did you use the special header wrap spray silicone or did you just spread some silicone on the wrap? I haven't used either on header wrap before but I've seen it in the catalogs and figured it should work. Sorry you didn't have good luck with it.

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
actually its working really well. the silicone spray got really sticky one the first run, but after that its quite nice. you still feel heat but i'm not at all worried about burning my leg. expensive stuff though. 50' of header wrap in the 1'' width cost $32.00. the silicone spray witch took some hunting for cost $12.00. if anybody else tries this i'd highly suggest the 2'' wrap, it cost like 50.00 but putting it on the pipe will pay off way better in the end. i had to rewrap a couple times before i was happy with it. the silicone spray helped it look a lot better to. my bike is all black, after wrapping the pipe it looked like it was in a cast.

kyl 46&2

Apr 12, 2010
MN
i'll definitely keep that in mind for my next build. my 29'er as a 36tooth sprocket and is not much for the trails around my neck of the woods. i'm thinking a good hill climber will do just fine.