Got cut off and slammed into a SUV!

GoldenMotor.com

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Yesterday I was on my way home from getting a new laptop(it was still in the box and was sticking out the top of my backpack)....I was on the shoulder of the road going around 25mph and a SUV came flying by me and then made a sharp turn to go into a parking lot....My only option was to lean the bike,hit the back brakes and slide sideways so I didnt hit them head on....
As I was sliding sideways toward the SUV my back tire was slinging gravel and rocks on the SUV,I was in a major lean with the bike almost on its side,then SLAM!My back tire hit the side of there vehicle at there back tire....It brought me back into the upright position and there was a big cloud of dust( I couldnt even see the people in the vehicle)....
I was so mad that I started shaking my head and cussing and dumped the clutch and drove around the front of the vehicle....They were just setting there with shock in there eyes,it hadent even hit me yet....
I drove off and when I looked in my review mirror they were still just setting there....When I finally got my bearings togeather my first thought was is my bike ok....I looked down at the back tire as I was driving to see if my back rim was bent but it was ok(I have 2.125 heavy spoke rims on my bike)and thats were all the damage would have been becouse the back tire slammed into it hard,I must have been going around 15mph or so when I hit them....
Another day in the MB bike life
John-John

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I had a guy in a real 'pimpin' black Escalade cut me off the same way....
I hit him and it left a real big scratch down the door & front fender, & it also broke his door mirror.
After I saw that me & my bike were ok, & saw the side of his car... I took off!!! :D

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
I had a guy in a real 'pimpin' black Escalade cut me off the same way....
I hit him and it left a real big scratch down the door & front fender, & it also broke his door mirror.
After I saw that me & my bike were ok, & saw the side of his car... I took off!!! :D
You a smart man!Run baby run!!!!!!!!!!!
What would happen if the cops showed up?would we be resopnsable in anyway for the damage?
P.S. how do you put the green grinning face in with the sentance????
John_John
dnut

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i was cruising up to a light, light turned green, so i kept going, no one in my lane, but a white car in the left lane decided to turn right.

same thing, slid into the car, and grinded my bike all down the side of it.

basically, i used the car as a berm, and ended up turning right.

we both stopped, and i'm ready to scrap, and this smoking hot chick gets out.

it's tough to stay mad at a hot blonde almost in tears, thinking she coulda killed ya.

damage? blue paint and rust transfer to her car, no damage to my bike, and a nice engine block/fin burn on my leg.

but i got her phone number...

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Yesterday I was on my way home from getting a new laptop(it was still in the box and was sticking out the top of my backpack)....I was on the shoulder of the road going around 25mph and a SUV came flying by me and then made a sharp turn to go into a parking lot....My only option was to lean the bike,hit the back brakes and slide sideways so I didnt hit them head on....
As I was sliding sideways toward the SUV my back tire was slinging gravel and rocks on the SUV,I was in a major lean with the bike almost on its side,then SLAM!My back tire hit the side of there vehicle at there back tire....It brought me back into the upright position and there was a big cloud of dust( I couldnt even see the people in the vehicle)....
I was so mad that I started shaking my head and cussing and dumped the clutch and drove around the front of the vehicle....They were just setting there with shock in there eyes,it hadent even hit me yet....
I drove off and when I looked in my review mirror they were still just setting there....When I finally got my bearings togeather my first thought was is my bike ok....I looked down at the back tire as I was driving to see if my back rim was bent but it was ok(I have 2.125 heavy spoke rims on my bike)and thats were all the damage would have been becouse the back tire slammed into it hard,I must have been going around 15mph or so when I hit them....
Another day in the MB bike life
John-John
IS the laptop okay? im glad you are ok and so is your bike. SCARY

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
i was cruising up to a light, light turned green, so i kept going, no one in my lane, but a white car in the left lane decided to turn right.

same thing, slid into the car, and grinded my bike all down the side of it.

basically, i used the car as a berm, and ended up turning right.

we both stopped, and i'm ready to scrap, and this smoking hot chick gets out.

it's tough to stay mad at a hot blonde almost in tears, thinking she coulda killed ya.

damage? blue paint and rust transfer to her car, no damage to my bike, and a nice engine block/fin burn on my leg.

but i got her phone number...

he he he best way to get a girl :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just glad to hear every body got by unharmed! Scary stuff. That drives me insane. Pass you on the left and then turn right.

I know I keep repeating this but it happens far less often when I wear the big silly lookin' helmet. Subtle cue that we are on more then a bicycle. Cuts the "pull out in front of you s"
way down too.

But ain't, not nothing gonna save us from folks not paying attention. My biggest worry is some one swinging a car door open as I pass. Yet I catch my self doing just that with out looking way to often parking.

Go Bird Man!! Gotta love dat

Attachments

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
If you were going straight and the suv turns in front of you hes at fault PERIOD. Ive eaten too many accidents where it was the others fault and they promised to pay or whatever. If theres damage to me or the bicycle a police report will be filed and a claim to their insurance company is in order. Why should you pay for some one elses negligence? I wont, been screwed too many times.

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
Not on motorized bikes at the time but when we were young and rode BMX through town cars would often cut us up etc and come very close to causing serious accidents, the repayment was they would lose a wing mirror to a foot, haha. Ya gota let them know whos boss

I was knocked of once also on the way home from work on a roundabout (stupid device, I believe you don't have them in the states). It was dark and I had a high viz jacket on and lights front and rear. I was commited onto the roundabout when this stupid woman decided to pull out as I was accross the front of her, I accelerated as hard as I could but she managed to hit my back wheel and sent me of on this busy island. I jumped up grabbed the bike and was narrowly missed by another car. When I got to the side of the road she had pulled up just off the island and was walking round to me (my knee was cut really deap but the bike was fine). She then had the audacity to say the lights on my bike wern't bright enough. I lost my temper at this point (the lights were brand new pricey and brighter than most car lamps) when I realised that her windscreen was steamed right up and she was driving while looking thru a 6" square clearing. She quickly changed her tune and offered me a lift home then rang her husband as she was now scared . I was there ready to have to deal with her husband (rather angry at this point I was) when her husband got there he realised how stupid she had been so bollocked her there and then, which obviously I found very amusing. I got away with just a scar that time luckily.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
About a month ago I was out for a long ride out on a back road when this car passes me then slams on the brakes, I'm just shy of locking up the back tire and just miss their bumper. They pull ahead a little bit then stop again, 1st thought going through my head is either they or I am getting a butt kicking because this is just nuts. An arm comes out the passenger window and waives me forward as the car starts backing up. Oh it's on now! Get even with the door and it's this little old couple that's totally lost. They're looking for Olive Garden and they're WAY out in the boonies. I tell them they need to turn around and go back the way they came to get back to the next town then give them directions how to go the 15 miles to Olive Garden.

TheOtherStyle

Mar 27, 2009
SE WI
Falldownstandup, it could have been a lot worse. When I was still a pup (17), I was on my way to school one morning on a Haro BMX. I was as far over to the right as I could go without being up on the curb (no sidewalks in that section). A guy (ironically a teacher from my school) in a Dodge Durango nailed me from behind hard enough that my arse left a dent in his bumper, flinging me back hard enough that my head left a dent in his hood. I pitched forward, flew off the bike, landed hands down at full speed and hit my head again. End result was permanent nerve damage in both wrists and problems remembering small stuff like today's tasks and the like. I'm 24 now, and it's hard to ride my bike for more than an hour without my hands going numb. I can't even play my Playstation for more than 10 minutes at a time before I have to pause because my hands are pins and needles.

I just finally applied for disability this week, and hopefully I get it. In the meantime I try to work, and still ride my bikes (all 4 of them...when they have good tires and tubes anyway lol).

Always remember it could have been worse, and do your best to keep an eye on traffic around you in the future.