Georgia to allow right to travel without a license.

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I hate to break it to you, but having a license does not in any way mean you know how to drive or even what the laws are. for example, I've had 50 people tell me its legal to make a LEFT hand turn on a red light since I've moved to Michigan, and I've shown each of them that they were breaking the law.
It is legal to make a left hand turn on a red in Michigan IF you're turning onto a one way street.

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
If I drive an automobile down the road anywhere in the USA I can travel with the expectation of not being stopped and hauled in for just occupying space in some one horse town by the local deputy who has a god complex. You can almost do this on a bicycle. Add a motor to it and you get the third world treatment. It is the license and Insurance that is causing this stupidity. I am all for a better system. If that means license and insurance fine. If it means turning the system upside down then I am all for it. I want to drive down the road and be governed by the standard road signs and the basic speed law. I do not agree with nor should I need to put up with special regs to constrain me from having my right to free travel. Our constitutional right to free travel is being violated and at a minimum we should work on getting rid of bad laws that allow people to simply say no to a reasonable form of transportation.

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
It is legal to make a left hand turn on a red in Michigan IF you're turning onto a one way street.
Not according to the SOS office. Right hand turns are legal unless otherwise posted, left hand turns are not unless a stop sign, yellow flashing, or red flashing. I asked because as a CDL driver, and someone who takes safe driving very seriously, this was the most asinine statement I'd ever heard in my life (no offense) but that seems to be a myth that people have spread and isn't strongly enforced, but if it causes an accident, guess who catches **** for it... the person who made the illegal turn.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If you make a right turn on red and cause a accident you are at fault also the right/left turn on red was implimented(at least in MO to my understanding )to save on fuel way back when they screwed up the hi-way speeds the first time,and the left turn on red onto a left bound oneway from a intersecting one way(left turn after stop with caution onto a L-bound oneway , same as right turn on red into right bound traffic) was legal here,,,this is for a solid red light only,

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
well as i said, the Secretary of State office here said that there was no legal left on red unless it was a flashing yellow or flashing red, at which case it was to proceed with caution after stop. The Left on solid red, was nothing more then a myth perpetuated by the people of Michigan as being legal in Michigan stemming from a lack of overall enforcement by a diminished police force.

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
Page 89 of the Michigan drivers handbook states it is legal to turn left on red going onto a one way but you must stop first and make sure it is clear. You should really comply with what state law says instead of asking low level employees of the state about it. I have a commercial drivers license also, but always go to the state publications when I have questions about the law.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
flashing red or yellow flashing lights are just glorfied stop and yield signs with a disco flair

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
Michigan State law 257.647(1), 257.612, bearing the legal designation "2810" refers to, prohibited turns, while subsection (1) shows baring on prohibited left turns after stop on red light.

Making such a turn is only legal if posted, and if you are at the end of your current street, turning onto a one way street and only if your current street does not involve the ability to cross over the designated street in which the driver is intended to turn on. Also, if these conditions apply, one must use a turning signal, and also sound a horn before proceeding with the turn.

Of special note, a red arrow indicate an inability to proceed with such a left hand turn, as a red arrow falls under the definition of a "doghouse light" and as such directly prohibits the turning in the direction of the arrow until the light is no longer red.

lightningstoreI70

Oct 7, 2010
Colorado
It's a House proposed ammendment. Until it goes through the Senate and is signed by the Governor, it's not a law. And I would think the Feds might have some say in it as well.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
It's a House proposed ammendment. Until it goes through the Senate and is signed by the Governor, it's not a law. And I would think the Feds might have some say in it as well.
The feds might "say" something. You're probably right. But, they have no legitimate say. Licensing is done on the state level.
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Interesting information but I'm not sure it effects me very much. I am 60 years old, I received my drivers license when I was 16. In the intervening 44 years, I have never been without my license to operate a motor vehicle on the public roads. Can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with a license unless drunkenness or terminal stupidity were involved. I dare say, the vast majority of Americans are in the same boat as me.

Seeya

Mar 18, 2011
USA
Interesting information but I'm not sure it effects me very much. I am 60 years old, I received my drivers license when I was 16. In the intervening 44 years, I have never been without my license to operate a motor vehicle on the public roads. Can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with a license unless drunkenness or terminal stupidity were involved. I dare say, the vast majority of Americans are in the same boat as me.
It is a tax upon a right, thurther why would you give up a right. They have in effect turn you into a slave thru extortion under color of law USC title 18, 241 & 242

United States Code: Title 18,241. Conspiracy against rights | LII / Legal Information Institute

United States Code: Title 18,242. Deprivation of rights under color of law | LII / Legal Information Institute

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
How interesting,all regular persons were coned into an illegal drivers license contract

Seeya

Mar 18, 2011
USA
I find people usually have some agenda to be "outraged" about, the question is will they admit to said agenda.
no agenda, information for you to do with as you like. knowledge is power and it can be used for good and bad, I personaly do not like to be taken for a ride thru a scam perpatrated by my elected servants. but to each his own.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
no agenda, information for you to do with as you like. knowledge is power and it can be used for good and bad, I personaly do not like to be taken for a ride thru a scam perpatrated by my elected servants. but to each his own.
Do you feel that trying to prevent unqualified operators from propelling two tons of steel at highway speeds toward unsuspecting innocent mothers and children to be a scam?