First one.. work in progress??

GoldenMotor.com

theRhino

Feb 17, 2011
(San Marcos)San Diego, CA
Hello All!

This is my first build, that i completed with the help of a seasoned MB builder. It is a Huffy Cranbrook from walmart for $89. Her name is "DARLA" I am not sure if we are supposed to name our rides.. but i love it so much! The motor is a zoombicycles.com 80cc. the first week I rode it, I had the stock handlebars, then upgraded to the Ape Hangers! My second day out riding, I was on a 10 mile trip when on my way back, my clutch cable snapped while trying to slow down. Hopefully this has happened to many before me.. if not I did something wrong. I have two solutions to this problem.. 1 is the one im using now.. I placed a plastic sheath, that I got from my local bike store, over the cable as indicated in the photos.. reducing the sawing action that the guide bolt thing did to it before.
My third day out, I got two flat tires.. so I replaced both with those Slime filled 5x thick tubes.. love them!!
I have an analog speedometer coming and a drop down, rear axle kickstand coming in the mail currently, I will post pictures of those when they arrive!
I reasearched, and tracked down a dealer, which took me 5 days to do.. a Fulmer V2 "Easy Rider" Helmet.. which is BEAUTIFUL!!
My next project will be fashioning a fiberglass cover to place over the current peanut tank, and paint it to match my helmet.. get the real look of the movie!! I am going to use the same method as "HoughMade" did for his gorgeous masterpiece!
If I lift up my back tire and spin the tire.. it wobbles as it turns around. What could be a cause of that, and is there a fix for it? im sure it is just aligned improperly with the bolts, but I have no idea. Insight please?

usflg

I live in California, am 20 yrs old and work for 2 Police Departments. Here is what I found in the Vehicle Code for CA, and have already gotten pulled over once for riding her.
I will post more details tomorrow and edit this, but the main point is We do NOT need registration on Motorbikes. these are defines as Motorized Bicycles by the state. and DO require a Helmet even if OVER the age of 18. and Do NOT need an M2 License for them. I will have supporting Vehicle Code numbers on here very shortly!!

Ride Safe, and enjoy the Sun!
Semper Fi,
theRhino.

Attachments

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That's a good looking bike :) I like the color of your fuel oil mix, what oil are you running?
Apes look great! Make sure that you have the best brakes (plural) you can get, and keep your fenders secure. Great work, have fun and ride far :)

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Great looking bike but one suggestion before you kill yourself,go to your local bike shop and pick up some double hanger Balloon fenders for around 35 bucks(I love the chrome ones)....If one of those cheap fenders come loose your in a world of hurt,and change out the back rim to a heavyduty 12gauge spoke coaster break rim from your local bike shop for around 50 bucks before that one bends and gives out on you....Love your ape hangers there very cool....
John

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Your wheel is probably out of true if it is wobbling. Google how to true a bicycle wheel . Nice looking bike.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
sounds like you're looking at V.C. 406b, which is for electric bikes, and not 406a, which is for gas.

i know from first hand court time, and sitting on the side of the road getting a ticket-time, that we DO need all these things, and it's clearly stated in more than one section of the DMV website.

but if you've found something no one else knows about, i might just have to move to san marcos.

welcome to the forum...:)

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Good lookin bike.
From the picture it looks like you've got a little head gasket leak on the front left.
Clean off the black stuff with carb cleaner. Re-tighten the acorn nuts, careful not to over do it, and ride.
If it re-appears take of the head and use some 220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface (window glass, granite counter top or equivalent and re-install it.
Sometimes they are warped from the get go.
Good luck and keep the rubber on the road.
TiM