Folding motorized bicycle possiable?

GoldenMotor.com

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Hey son have decided not to buy a moped and I would rather have a bicycle to evade tabs title and plates.

The expense is far less on a motorized bicycle a scooter.

"Is there a way (other then friction drive) to put a China girl kit on one of those Walmart 7 speed folding bicycles?

"Had enough theft in 2016" would rather have something I can fold up and put in a flame proof bag or sealed case.

My wife won't let me park my bicycle in the house in a carpeted apartment and has not done so since my recycling days.

If there is no dirt no smell ant nothing she will complain about.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Go electric. No mess, no smell. I have a couple electric folders and travel with them inside my van. They charge overnight or while driving in the van.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Go electric. No mess, no smell. I have a couple electric folders and travel with them inside my van. They charge overnight or while driving in the van.
Which is cheaper hub front wheel kit or purchasing a electric folder I personally find a hub cheaper.

As long as I can travel up to 10miles electric with assist that's fine. I wanted a 20 inch stowabike I hear their bikes some of them don't fit their bags.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
Hub is cheap,but then you need to buy a battery. Not cheap.
For the price of building one plus about $100 you can get one of these: www.sondors.com
This bike has great components and plenty of power. It will definitely go more than ten miles.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
This bike has multiple gears, goes faster than legally allowed for more than 10 miles (depending on batteries) and weighs less 40 lbs with 3 of the pictured batteries.

Bought it at a yard sale for next to nothing without batteries.

This one was bought from a classified ad, has about 10 mile range.
The 24v SLA batteries are heavy (about 25 lbs) and speed is limited to about 20mph max (downhill, tailwind!) but it is a ruggedly reliable city bike and is my traveling companion.

I like going fast on gas, but these bikes have their charms.
Quiet, smooth, easy to use, non-offensive and no smell.

Steve

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Those things look awkward and hilarious. But they must be comfortable. They remind me of gas scooters
Heck, I'd be picking that dinky thing out of the spokes of my E-bike.

24V SLA battery? You might get around the block a time or two, but this beast has 50V and over 900W of LI power and seven speed motor shifting!

That beast will travel twice as fast, for twice as long, under twice as many conditions, and be twice as comfortable to ride than that folder bike.

Now you just need something in-between ;-}

Last edited:

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Those things look awkward and hilarious. But they must be comfortable. They remind me of gas scooters
Yeah, no worries of the kids stealing them to look cool.

They are not a rocket with only 250w of power but they will run for several hours around a hilly city like Halifax or Lunenburg NS.

And they do fold up to fit in a trunk or behind a seat in my van. No gas smell, I can ride them thru the park with no questions. Sometimes ugly girls have their own charms...

If you ever go to Mahone Bay, check out this shop:

Great folks

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That should work, but to fold it you have to remove the engine first.
Again I suggest if you want to motorize the little fold bike go electric.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
One of the first bicycles I motorized was a 20" Dahon folding bike. I put a small Robin 4-stroke engine and friction drive on it. It was the perfect starter bike, having excellent road manners. Top speed on a slight slope was 27mph. Afterwards, I installed a Mitsubishi TLE43 with Staton chain drive on it. That became too powerful to handle. I removed the engine and changed it back to normal. Sadly, the motorized Dahon wasn't able to fold completely and fit in its plastic case.