briggs 3.5 HP stretched/chopped/lowered murray cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
WOW!
that is just awesome,love what you are doing. Were did you get the cranks and sprocket from?...............Curt

gbginger

Apr 2, 2014
gulf Breeze florida
thats just a temporary gas tank for now.. it did run.. took it down the block and back. the motor runs horrible. i have a lot of tuning to do on it but it ran. still a long road ahead of me.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You might consider installing a NT bicycle engine carb. I have had very good results using them on briggs engines. You can use stock manifold if you drill out the mounting holes a bit to fit engine bolt spacing...

This is a Tecumseh but the briggs is the same.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I think the carb you have should work fine as it is new. have you tried adjusting the jet screw on the bottom? and check for air leaks. Maybe pull the side cover and check the valve clearance should be 8 on intake and 10 on the exhaust. Yours looks newer so it may be 7 and 9 clearance.................Curt

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
briggs carbs are meant for constant speed use and the NT is a good upgrade to improve throttle response.
Nothing WRONG with the briggs carbs, but the NT is easier to tune and keep clean.
The small bore is not an issue as the briggs carb has about the same size venturi.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
briggs carbs are meant for constant speed use and the NT is a good upgrade to improve throttle response.
Nothing WRONG with the briggs carbs, but the NT is easier to tune and keep clean.
The small bore is not an issue as the briggs carb has about the same size venturi.
I'm considering changing the carb on my Tecumseh powered snow blower to a spare NT carb I have. The stock carb is bogging down enough to be almost unusable as it is. I'll run more gas additive carb cleaner through it to see if it will run better, as I'f rather not fool with taking things apart in sub zero weather, but if that doesn't work I think I'd like to try the NT just to see how it goes.
SB

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm considering changing the carb on my Tecumseh powered snow blower to a spare NT carb I have. The stock carb is bogging down enough to be almost unusable as it is. I'll run more gas additive carb cleaner through it to see if it will run better, as I'f rather not fool with taking things apart in sub zero weather, but if that doesn't work I think I'd like to try the NT just to see how it goes.
SB
I think you will like it!

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
It looks like your pedal crank is geared kinda high, maybe 500rpm when your motor is turning 3000rpm. Maybe I am reading your tooth count wrong on that one picture.

gbginger

Apr 2, 2014
gulf Breeze florida
It looks like your pedal crank is geared kinda high, maybe 500rpm when your motor is turning 3000rpm. Maybe I am reading your tooth count wrong on that one picture.
the crank runs to a free wheel sprocket so its not turning with the motor. only when i pedal and its i think a 2:1 ratio i went with.

as for the manifold I am just going to make my own. and this carb will be all around easier. now i don't have to make a throttle linkage set up work with it.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
How about showing the rest of the mini bike..................Curt
It's a work in progress...still needs brakes and motor moved closer to new 60t sprocket. Can't find my puller to remove clutch from the Briggs yet either. Too cold to look.

The Tecumseh I'm using now is literally a brand new engine. I pulled the head when I got it and it's factory new. I'd say under 10 minutes run time.
Totally lucked out!
Got it free for respoking a trike wheel. Guy was going to have me put a motor on it, but came back the day he dropped it off and traded it for a gokart. Gave me one of the two motors he had with it for the wheel. Random chance got me the new one.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
KOOL bike,i like it, thank god for fences,hide our goodies.

Yep cold down there also,it got up to about 19 today was shoveling some snow and saw a bike go by,see one just about every day.................Curt

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
KOOL bike,i like it, thank god for fences,hide our goodies.

Yep cold down there also,it got up to about 19 today was shoveling some snow and saw a bike go by,see one just about every day.................Curt
I have a bunch of mutts. NOBODY comes in my yard secretly.