Totally ruined right rear mounting hole... now what?

GoldenMotor.com

bodydropped

Jul 9, 2009
atlanta
i had the same the same thing happen on one of my motors,i could not for the life of me get the darn bolt out.
so i ordered a new casing aka block.
if you go this route you only need to replace the damaged side.but be sure to order and replace any seals depending on the side of the block also its a good idea to get bearings awell just incase you mess up. when it comes down to it.i would have been better off scraping my damaged motor for spare parts in the future and buying another motor and better hardware.
good luck to you....

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
Well, It's fixed.
I'm afraid this is the only "Declassified" photo I could acquire so far... (I wasn't the one who fixed it :()

another pic.. apparently painting metal that has been sitting in front of a heater for an hour or two = bad.. (looks kinda cool though)

hopefully I can get it together and actually RIDE(OH M GEE) today... after 3 weeks or so..

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Noob,
Good for you. :) Keep us posted. You know, some people pay a lot for a 'Crinkle Finish' paint job. You got one for free. Let us know how you're doing.
Tom

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
Well,
finally got it put back together.. took a bunch of rides..

had no power at first..(I think I may still of had that old 32:1 mix in it... swore I added oil to it though...(rings still aren't set)) anyway, changed plugs.. dumped some oil down the plug hole.. got some power back... running fine.

One small problem. . .

I'm leaking oil from somewhere on the back of the engine... rather bad... 90% sure it's from that top right hole I drilled. . .

hooray:-||

Last edited:

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
and I just found I have a bunch of oil leaking from my Clutch cover.... this doesn't sound normal. . .

Attachments

Last edited:

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
If you greased your gears (you did grease them, didn't you?) it is probably just grease being thrown off.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Noob,

It looks like your clutch gear bearings are on the way out...is that grease, on your finger, full of grit?

Silver colored grease is usually a dead give away for crunched bearings.

It looks like there are two small ball bearings laying in the bottom of the case just below the crank gear?

If you look at the case photos I posted earlier, you will see that it is possible to drill into the crankcase area. If one of new threaded holes is leaking oil, you will need to put some sort of sealer on the threads. Copper anti-seize might work, or pipe fitters goo...not sure. Just don't use too much...you don't want any goop in the crankcase.

Jim

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
It did seem rather gritty.. but after all of the aluminum dust I've seen flying/inhaled/gotten in my eyes/eaten/been covered with in the last few days.. I didn't worry too much about it..(didn't see any bearings)

still not sure if I hit the crank case with that drill hole.. didn't see any evidence in any of the pics I took..

this stuff did seem like oil instead of melted grease though.. not sure...

rode it about 30 miles today..
having crappy running engine problems now...

it's running at like half power it feels like.. died on me at about the 20 mile point.. refused to start.. changed back to the stock plug... started but ran pretty rough... let off the throttle = stall.. stuttering violently...(which it did when my stud broke...)

anyway, made it home, cleaned both plugs..(the stock plug actually looked "perfect"...)

tried the Champion.. ran smooth and fast.. for half a block then died.. refused to start...

tried the stock plug again.. violent stuttering.. stalls

which problem will I get next??.. any bets?

Sigh, Good night. (sorry for making you all read all of this..)

*EDIT* after dumping some oil down the plug hole and walking/riding it with the plug out.. and getting a couple new plugs from Napa the bike is running fine again.
(I guess all the "oil" leaking everywhere really just was the old gear grease in the clutch cover...)

Last edited:

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
the stock mounts are 6mm.. dunno if there are different threads?..

these are 1/4"x 20 now. I just double-nutted both of them so far... locktiting things still seems rather useless imo...