Chain Rubs Frame

GoldenMotor.com

burnclouds

Jun 17, 2009
ohio
Hey, So my chain rubs the frame of the bike. I'm not sure what I can do to fix it. I've ridden it a little bit. The frame is slowly being ground away and the chain is too. Any suggestions?

burnclouds

Jun 17, 2009
ohio
Sorry I'll send a pic as soon as I can.

The upper section of the chain is rubbing against the inside of the rear fork about 1/2 way up to where all three tubes meet.

I have a "80cc" BGF (Left side drive)

Also the sprocket is as far to the inside as I can get it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Whatever you do to fix it, keep the run of the chain straight. Do not resort to moving the sprocket to one side and having the chain run crooked so it clears the frame!

burnclouds

Jun 17, 2009
ohio
After looking at the bike and the problem a little more, I think i am going to try some washers to spread out the frame a little bit.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
A possible solution came to me in the middle of the night...
Is it possible to lower your engine & remount it closer to the pedals???
You can do this by cutting a little off the rear engine mount on the back-flat side!!
Just make sure the engine wont touch the pedaling sprocket.

Reactions: allen standley

burnclouds

Jun 17, 2009
ohio
I never would have thought about that. My biggest concern with that is making sure the carb still fits. Now if I where to shorten the Front motor mount that would allow the entire motor to drop down and wouldn't effect the carb. But then what about making sure there are enough threads for the front mounting studs to hold on to?

burnclouds

Jun 17, 2009
ohio
I'm afraid that drilling deeper will cause problems. It doesn't look like there is a lot more distance before i'd run into internal components on the front.

burnclouds

Jun 17, 2009
ohio
I think I'm going to have a friend wield up some steel for me to reinforce the outside and then file out a notch in the frame.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Dooooood... you're making this way too complicated!!
Cut (or grind) both mounts a little bit, & see if that lowers the engine enough to solve the problem.

burnclouds

Jun 17, 2009
ohio
I guess I'm not too sure about how to go about doing that and I don't want to bork anything up beyond repair. And about the best tools I think I have for this would be a hack saw or a dremmel (sp?).

Keenan Collins

Mar 25, 2019
Dooooood... you're making this way too complicated!!
Cut (or grind) both mounts a little bit, & see if that lowers the engine enough to solve the problem.
My chain rubs to very slightly.Do you think it be causing my engine Chain to bind when there is compression on my engine.It runs smooth with the plug out?