Schwinn Spoiler engine??

GoldenMotor.com

hotrodseanxx

Apr 17, 2008
NJ
Hey,
I'm looking at building a Schwinn Stingray Spoiler... I was just wondering if anyone has done this, whats the best setup? Someone mentioned there might be a kit for the stingrays/spoilers, does anyone know of this. also whats the best engine/setup for good off the line torque but also a good top end... basically almost like a 1/4mi drag style combination...

Thanks,
(c)Sean(c)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
its an electric motor in the front hub. You just switch out the front wheels. it wouldn't require any changes to the frame or look of the bike at all. It's expensive and wont take you more than 15 or twenty miles on a charge but it's what I would do given the amount of attention I have to give my bike. The electric would require much less maintenance. not chain problems not heavy vibrations causing problems. Just a quite hum. Or so they claim I never owned one.

hotrodseanxx

Apr 17, 2008
NJ
eh i'm looking for something more chain or belt drive, basically gas bc i wont have a place to charge an electric engine, but it will be parked right across the street from a gas station ;) lol

hotrodseanxx

Apr 17, 2008
NJ
yeah def need something that can hit close to the 35-40 for that one street going to my job. What you think is the best bet decon for the spoiler?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Listen to Joe and Norman I think that is your best bet. I imagine hooking the little monster up to the big monster will be a challenge good luck.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
You could use a GEBE engine - namely the 32/40cc two stroke on the 11# gear would get you to the lower end of that figure.

Adding the Tanaka tuned pipe (available currently on ebay) will put the 32cc up to around 40-ish mph. I am not sure on the 40cc with a pipe but it might be up to 45mph with the highway gear 11#

Make sure that the brakes are up to it - the sides of cars hurt...

Jemma xx

bottomedout

Sep 18, 2008
i built a smaller stingray 20" with a 50cc 4 stroke motor, does 50 mph so far i have put about 200 miles on it. rear wheel bearings suck ass recommend looking for sealed bearings.

casey

Jan 23, 2011
arvada co
I have built bicycycle and schwinn chopper motorized units. using the gurbee 80cc engine, is quite a challange. several little road blocks occur with regard to carb mount, exhaust, no chain tightener used, making the cables shorter, brake considerations and the list goes on. i think the choppers are a lot of fun. currentlt working on disc brake system for the front break. if you want, take a look at the chopper i currently have listed on craigslist in denver. good luck and enjoy the chopper after you complete the engine installation. casey

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
i bought a gurbee 80cc kit for my schwinn jaguar and it was a horrible peace of crap i worn people away from there cheaply made kits everything about it was a headache and it had almost no power compared to the flying horse 80 cc kit i replaced it with i understand some of the stuff is junk across the board like the 410 chains and some hardware but i love my flying horse its strong and most of the kit is better quality and for electric never i have rode a electric i have a dealer that sells them and he tryed to sell me on it when i went in there to see if he had parts for the gurbee and rode one and told him its not worth the money since i installed the flying horse kit i went to him with it and he was trying to nit pick about the noise and vibration at high speed but he shut up when i asked if he wanted to race me or endurance ride to see who could ride farther i put up with a little noise and keep it off full throttle and its great to cruse on top sepped on mine with the 44 tooth is 35 mph have the 36 tooth havent switched yet also i have the spring loaded chain idler which i havent installed yet also might want a exhaust at some point but shes fun as is for now just remember to put a set screw in your idler so it never moves on you and dont get sucked into there "fancy" carbs

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
sorry about the rant but i have been hateing my self for dumping money into fixing the grubee GT-5 when i should have looked into it more before buying it then i got screwed by buying it from gasbike.com also im a gas junkie since i was 6 yo so i have a bias against electric and the price/speed/distance dosent help.

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK