Columbia trailhead 2 discs with RAW 80 cc engine?

GoldenMotor.com

4yk4a

Mar 23, 2009
Illinois
Hi!I'm a newbee.Probably i've made a stupid thing...First i bought the mountainbike Columbia trailhead with a disk brakes.It has a front and rear disk brakes.Stops realy nice and smooth!After that i've ordered the RAW 80 cc engine from Zone8cycling.I will recieve it on 26-th.But now i realyze:Where i'm gonna put a spocket on rear wheel?The disc brake is on the same side(you know-left).So,is anybody can give me some advice on this,please?P.S.Pardon for my heavy english-i'm originally Russian.

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Re: Columbia trailhead 2 dicks with RAW 80 cc engine?

"Andyinchville1" sells a kit just for you. Just do a search of his posts.

Last edited:

4yk4a

Mar 23, 2009
Illinois

I apologize for the mistake at the title.Sounds funny.I mean 2 discks. :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Howdy 4yk4a. Both suggestions would work for you. andy at Kings and sick bike parts

Please let us know how it goes and what you decide. You could probably switch another manner of brakes but Keeping the disk breaks is a good idea. IMHO.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
My understanding is 2 dicks are better than one?!
I'm still laughing about that title thats funny!laff
Norman

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Was thinking about this. If you have a one speed rear wheel laying around with a coaster brake, would work too. Be a shame to give up disk brakes for coaster though. I tried to find a way to convert to "pull" brakes but all's I found was how to convert to disk. Think Andy at king's might be the best route.

I have been wondering for a while but read some where today of some one who removed the disk and placed the sprocket in it's place. Would be a great mod if you could get it to work as both sprocket and disk for braking. that would be one of the best mods ever. The tensioner might need relocation. I am going to have to find a junker and try this.

There is always a way.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
With the right kind of equipment you should be able to make the rear sprocket into a sprocket/brake rotor I've thought about this what would be cool is to use a hyd. system to power the brakes and mount the brake caliper so the brakes and sprocket are the same. exile cycles sells one for the Harleys so it will work you will just have to make one even if you use a cable operated brake it should still work. There's one for "creative enginnering" to try or when I find the time and parts I could knock one out. American power sports sells a cable or rod operated disc brake for go karts that would be an all most bolt on system well some welding and machining will be needed.
you need to be careful and not over oil the chain..duh.
Norman

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
It sounded so good until you had to bring up the oil.
Way to go Norman!:-||

I do seem to remember the build Dan mentioned though.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Been looking for an hr, can't find it. If you do Toytime, would you post? I am getting really intrigued by this. Could work. Maybe a stand alone unit that holds the brake arm and a spring actioned tensioner?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is very cool TT. Could definitely be done. I am not finding a lot of disk brake conversion parts that wold work easily. I am thinking some sort of mechanical pinching with pads that adjusts the same way.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Was thinking about this. If you have a one speed rear wheel laying around with a coaster brake, would work too. Be a shame to give up disk brakes for coaster though. I tried to find a way to convert to "pull" brakes but all's I found was how to convert to disk. Think Andy at king's might be the best route.

I have been wondering for a while but read some where today of some one who removed the disk and placed the sprocket in it's place. Would be a great mod if you could get it to work as both sprocket and disk for braking. that would be one of the best mods ever. The tensioner might need relocation. I am going to have to find a junker and try this.

There is always a way.
My neighbor did the disk brake to sprocket thing. Not very hard to do, well at least for him. Now to have the disc brake and the sprocket that would take some engineering.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My neighbor did the disk brake to sprocket thing. Not very hard to do, well at least for him. Now to have the disc brake and the sprocket that would take some engineering.
Very cool lordo. would really like to see that. Invite him in.

King's has what they call a "Top Hat" sprocket with disk brake mounted.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Would be easy to make a bracket and a cable assembly for this. Just dunno if it could be modded to go around the dish of the sprocket. Would be great though, beefier brakes.

go cart brake

Last edited:

4yk4a

Mar 23, 2009
Illinois
I just recieved the kit.The diameter of the inner hole in the spocket is much bigger,than a place,where the brake disk attaching at.And the same thang with the 9-holes circle.It's much bigger on the spocket.And also, as Dan said in previous post-The tensioner might need relocation(C).I might better gonna buy another bike.Some good 'ole shvimnlookin' cruiser from low-mart or from the rat-get.That columbia i'll keep for the exercises(need to lose some ballast).So,any suggestion 'bout inexpensive cruiser(price/quality)?P.S.Thank's to everybody for advices,you gave me!!!

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I was in Target today. I just noticed all the tubes on the new Schwinns are huge. So a custom motor mount would be needed for most of them. I would stay away from the under $100 bikes. True I did get the suspension and tires (rims too but one has been replace and the other should be) for my bike from a $75 Wallyworld bike.(funny my neighbor got the same bike, for the same reason, forks, before I knew him, dog got the bike on sale for $60

The $100-200 range is what I would look at. You could try your local craigslist as well. Lots of bikes get picked up on foreclosure cleanup. Take a scale picture of the motor with you so you can see if will fit on the bike you are looking at. Don't forget Kmart, home of the $6.00 Bell cable replacement kit.