?? Welding Fito fork legs ??

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Wondering if anyone knows if the fork legs from a Fito triple tree fork are strong enough to weld on. Basically using those legs a part of a leaf spring fork. I have other options but I want to keep my disc brakes ! Thanks

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Should be fine, but depends on where you weld and how it's done.
Too much heat might compromise strength.
I have had no problems whatsoever after welding front rack supports to my Specialized HardRock fork.....fairly extensive weld area on outside of tubes.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Should be fine, but depends on where you weld and how it's done.
Too much heat might compromise strength.
I have had no problems whatsoever after welding front rack supports to my Specialized HardRock fork.....fairly extensive weld area on outside of tubes.
Thanks for responding!!! It will definitely help....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First question: Are you going to be welding steel or aluminum? If aluminum you'll need to be proficient at welding that metal. It is not like welding steel. You cannot cobble aluminum together with a cheap discount tool store welder and little to no experience.

All successful welding processes rely on the ability and experience of the person doing the welding. This is especially important on a part as critical as the front fork on a bicycle.

Be very careful here and make sure that whoever does the welding is competent and knowledgeable and knows the importance of what the job entails. Front forks are nothing to take lightly.

Tom

Last edited:

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Thanks ... Weld I'm using is very good. I'm not worried about his welds I'm more worried about using the steel fork legs from a $30 fork as part of my leaf fork. Never heard of a problem with the fork but The fork to me is the weak leak! I'm thinking of something like this to accommodate my wide hub and disc set up . I m not going to go past the plates with fork legs. Reason is I don't want it to look like I bolted a leaf to a triple tree.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Wondering if anyone knows if the fork legs from a Fito triple tree fork are strong enough to weld on. Basically using those legs a part of a leaf spring fork.
I have other options but I want to keep my disc brakes ! Thanks
Those fork tubes are pretty wimpy steel, I don't think I'd trust it to weld to.

What is your leaf spring fork idea?
I just can't picture it.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I was thinking of using the tubes to make the fork wider..to fit my hub. Just going through all my options before I build the fork. This was one of my options which is fading fast!!