It's free, is it worth it?

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
free mopeds are always worth it! :)

unless you're building a mini btr, i'd go a different route. the wheels are aboit the same size as 20" bike wheels.

if the motor's good you can build around it for something diffetent than your average china bike, or you could clean that moped up and sell it to finance a bike build...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'd keep it as is, clean it up and sell it. You could probably get enough to build a darn nice motorized bicycle. Have you checked what they're going for on ebay or Craig's?

Tom

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
It runs fine, carb needs cleaned. I just thought salvage what i could for a build. I like the hubs for a BTR build, drum brakes fit the general build idea over disc. I haven't searched CL to see what there goin for. The only info I found on it was minimal i quote

"The 1979 Oakwood Catalina is made by Pou Yen Mechanical Co, 5 Kuochi Rd, Hsinshis Hsiang, Tainan, Taiwan . It is not like any other Taiwan moped. It is rare, but not valuable. It shares the same componentry as other Taiwan mopeds. Of course, the Italian made Minarelli engine is very common, as is the Dellorto SHA carburetor."

The pic I posted I took off there page, the one i got is in excellent shape though. I think it spent most of its life in grandmas garage.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'd clean up the carb and ride it around to see if you like it. Is it single speed or two speed? Supposed to be a good engine.

Definitely grab it with both hands and decide later whether to keep it, sell it or cannibalize it. Nice score...
SB

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
I think it's a single speed. Pickin it up after work tomorrow. I'll have pics to share. I said free, but I think I'm a have around $10 in it.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if it's a minarelli v1 engine, go to Treatland mopeds website. you can get everything imaginable to turn that motor into a rocket for a reasonable price.

i've got one i'm saving for a special project. i wanna build my own custom frame from the ground up and make a custom moped that'll blow minds... :)

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
Well got it home after work yesterday, lil rougher than i thought. BUT it was pretty much free. Tinkered with it briefly, got it going, rode it around the block. It was raining so that's why i didn't stay out long. Carb is over loading, if you leave gas on it drips steadily outta carb. I think a good tear down and cleaning will fix the problem there. I'm try and tackle that tonight. I'll post the only pic I took in a bit.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
That's definitely a good deal... free is always good... and with a Minarelli engine, you can make that thing into a rocket real easy with a few goodies from treatland... go to www.treatland.tv and you'll find all kinds of parts for this thing whether you need stock parts to get it running it's best or aftermarket jugs, pistons, pipes, etc to make it into a little beast.... Awesome find.

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
I'm a mess with it this weekend. I really like the hubs, I'm a try to get it goin to play with, but after some research I think lacing those hubs into a 26" wheel for a BTR build would fit the look I'm goin for. Front brakes are touchy, rears are a lil weak but I think a simple overhaul of the brakes would give me the stopping power I want for a BTR.

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
These lil minarelli engines good for anything? can they be mounted at any angle? Scooter ran but carb was shot, I've stripped it down to take what parts I wanted to save, if engine is worth saving guess I'll hold onto it.