Emergency Breaks keep you out of the lakes

GoldenMotor.com

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I was walking through goodwill, looked down in the sports equipment and what did I see? A brand new pair of "Emergency Breaks" I assume they were ye olde slip covers for shooes, but they seem a bit odd for that even. Lady at the register looked me dead in the eye and told me they were knee pads... I asked if she had a bridge to sell me next, they are clearly made for feet.

either way I figure I can get something like 3-4 more uses out of them before I've destroyed the bottoms. Mayhaps I can keep the straps and thread them through some bits of car tire or something for new ones once these are obliterated.
Does anyone else have any sort of auxiliary or "Emergency breaking" past the standard 1-2 breaks that are on bikes?

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
*shakes head and walks away muttering*
I dunno. Is it really such a terrible thing to post?

It's even kinda interesting to wonder just what those things really are.

I agree that they're made for feet, not knees. But for what purpose?

I wouldn't even think about relying on those for braking, Semaj. In any situation that requires real braking, that's a broken leg.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have laid enough tile to know those are not knee pads. I still can't imagine the true purpose of them.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
So far I've only used them to keep from sliding into intersections when a stop sign has snuck up on me and I didint start breaking early enoufgh. I suppose I'll leave them at home now.
as to what they were for I am still stymied, like I said perhaps they like the newer cruise for shoes slip Guard. except they're not that comfortable as they only cover half your foot.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sorry sir but no matter what those things were made for, if you have to drag your feet to stop your bike you need to start looking at better brakes.
Relying on foot friction is an accident/injury waiting to happen. Upgrade your brakes and you won't need to upgrade your footwear. Just my opinion. Others might disagree.

Tom

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
So far I've only used them to keep from sliding into intersections when a stop sign has snuck up on me and I didint start breaking early enoufgh..
What do you do when a large metal object like a car or truck sneakily pulls out in front of you? :D
Fred Flintstone brakes!!! LOL

Do you even have a front brake?

This is why motorized bikes will get banned by some politician.

Give the knee pads to your gf!

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
What do you do when a large metal object like a car or truck sneakily pulls out in front of you? :D
Fred Flintstone brakes!!! LOL

Do you even have a front brake?

This is why motorized bikes will get banned by some politician.

Give the knee pads to your gf!
XD Im going to be chortling about this all night while tuning out the trashy pop they play over the intercom with Gwar. Thank you!
So much great signature material here...
as for the politicians, like I said Ill ditch these quick, I dont want to end a good thing.
I have everything I need for disk breaks on my front wheel... Except that apparently that sort of setup doesnt fit in my fork, the disk rubbs on the fork :( Im entertaining the idea of installing the disk breaks on the rear as my hub motor has the mounts for them. I just dont know if the frame will allow it -_-'

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
XD Im going to be chortling about this all night while tuning out the trashy pop they play over the intercom with Gwar. Thank you!
So much great signature material here...
as for the politicians, like I said Ill ditch these quick, I dont want to end a good thing.
I have everything I need for disk breaks on my front wheel... Except that apparently that sort of setup doesnt fit in my fork, the disk rubbs on the fork :( Im entertaining the idea of installing the disk breaks on the rear as my hub motor has the mounts for them. I just dont know if the frame will allow it -_-'
I added a disc to My Pig and it rubbed at first too. I simply added a small washer inside the fork on the axle to space the disc away from the leg. Worked like a charm.
I don't even use it. I use the Vbrakes because the disc squeals like a raped rabbit

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I added a disc to My Pig and it rubbed at first too. I simply added a small washer inside the fork on the axle to space the disc away from the leg. Worked like a charm.
I don't even use it. I use the Vbrakes because the disc squeals like a raped rabbit
I added 2 on one side and they stopped the bolts that hold the rocker plates in from touching the area the disk mounts to So I could actually use the wheel I bought, I would have to really want to put more washers in, im not sure the fork will allow it. maybe if I put the rocker plates on after the washers that might work

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
We have a local farm store and they sell something like that for farmers. They slip over boots to protect the form carp when the go into barns,but they cove the hole boot..............Curt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We have a local farm store and they sell something like that for farmers. They slip over boots to protect the form carp when the go into barns,but they cove the hole boot..............Curt
The Denver Mounted Patrol (Police) use something like them for their horse's hoofs in icy/wet conditions. Booties for horsies. :)

Tom

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I've always said, IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY. BUT if ya gotta drag yer feet to stop, perhaps you should build it someone else's way.
YABBA DABBA DOOOOO.
fatdaddy.usflg

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Excelent advice Fatdaddy :D
Im totally digging the quad breaks The_Aleman What pads do you use for your Vbreaks,

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
There was a big bowl of pads on the counter at bicycle express on sale, I figured for the price I could afford to wear em out and change em. I dont even know what brand they are, but they are holding up as good as any other pads I've had. STOPPING is a lot more important than going. If ya cant go, you cant die. If ya cant STOP, you WILL die.
fatdaddy.usflg

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Kool Stops are the best I have ever had.
As to the Knee / heel pads. They will make good wall hangers.....
I will admit that I wore out a bunch of Keds when I was a kid .

Robbie

May 21, 2015
Calgary canada
Man the lady at the store is right those ARE knee pads!!!! I'm a Roofer and own and have had probably 50-60 pairs over the last 12 years! The exact same as those. But you can use them4 whatever you like. Hahalaff