Spark plugs

GoldenMotor.com

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
I know this should go in another section but I was hoping for a faster response. I have a little time coming up this week to mess with the bike (china girl) and was hoping to try different pugs out, gaps etc. I was wondering if there are plugs that can be picked up a local auto shop or are they only found online?

If so what would you suggest. I know this is a broad area with different temp settings etc but if there are some you would suggest for general riding in a mid 70 low 80's degree climate please let me know.
Thanks.
P.S I'm not running the stock plug but forget what I bought.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks Tom..my bad.
Toothy, I wasn't trying to be nasty :)

But, there is so much discussion already posted on plugs that I thought it might help if you could see/read what others have said about them over the years.

Typically what you'll get is many opinions based on the experience of those who reply.
The NGK B6 is generally considered one of the best and most used spark plugs for the Chinese 2 stroke. There are others that will work just as well but they aren't as popular.
I've used the Champion 811 (L82C) plug and can't tell any difference in how the engine performs. I've also used Autolite with the same results.
Experimentation will tell you what works best for you.

Tom

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
I use NGK BR6HS in my motors, found at most hardware stores. In fact, I also use it on my outboard motors, it's a good multipurpose plug.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Honestly? I use whatever I find in the drawer that fits.
I've never seen much difference in plugs until I finally got off my duff and got my jetting right. It wanted more plug gap and really loved the china crap plug.
Now it seems to like the NGK b7hs better after adding the Hd Lightning cdi.
Not going to bother trying anything else since I'm lazy and it runs better than ever.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Now that I think about it, I do have a weird triple electrode chinese plug I've been meaning to try. No idea where it came from. Probably some scooter or quad or something.

Scol

Jan 10, 2014
Ireland
How ofter should you change the plug ? I have built my first bike
a few months ago probable has around 300Km done

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I like the Autolite 275 plugs for tuning since they're cheap and reliable, then I'll switch to an NGK iridium plug after I get the jetting right.
I remember a few years back I was running Autolites on my Intruder 1400 to set up the jetting, got it tuned the way I wanted and bought the NGK iridiums for it. Then fast forward a few years and I was doing routing maintainance on the bike and got new plugs, went to pull the old plugs and the Autolites were still in there doing just fine. I guess once I got the jetting right I never went back in and changed the Autolites out for the good stuff and they ran in there just fine for about 2 years or 15000 miles with no issues and good power.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I would never waste my money on high priced irridium plugs for a motorized bicycle. They are not designed to increase performance but are in fact intended for high milage engines. True, they might be a little less prone to fouling as compared to standard plugs but if your plug is fouling you have other issues that need to be addressed.

There is no conclusive evidence that an $8.00 spark plug will work any better in a Chinese 2 stroke than a plug costing less than $2.00. If it sparks, the engine will run.

How many motorized bicycles will ever need a plug that can go 100K miles? Not many.

Tom

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
How ofter should you change the plug ? I have built my first bike
a few months ago probable has around 300Km done
You shouldn't need to change the plug unless it fouls (You'll notice a lot of decrease in performance, starting etc. if it even runs at all)

If you worry that much about it, you can take the plug out every so often and examine it to see if its plugged with carbon, if it is, it wouldn't hurt to change it. But chances are that plug will last longer than your engine.