80 MPH on the Salt Video!

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Actual GoPro footage of an entire run on the salt flats of Bonneville. We typically time from the one to the two mile markers. I figured this was my last run so I held it to the three mile marker. Turns out it was a solid 80 mph record breaking run which required impounding the bike till the next day so I could back up the run. Enjoy the ride!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVMYcvFi980

Bonneville Flyer #5 in impound after the run.

Bonneville 2013 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very very cool, Pat. Thanks for sharing with us.

After watching that I'll bet you'll keep a close watch on those nuts on the springer. You can really see the springs work but also how much abuse those nuts get.

Congratulations. Everyone is proud of you and your representation of our hobby.

Tom

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Great Video Pat.

I see that front fork was really working.

Were you tracking your speed?
Thanks, guys! Yeah, watching that video makes it look like the bike was working hard, but the ride was actually quite smooth. I would check the speedo but mostly I was tucked as low as possible and even pulled my legs in tight to the tank. I would look down, pick a line in the salt and follow it, lifting my head every so often to make sure I was still pointed in the right direction. When I would lift my head I could see my speed drop by 1/2 mph. All I can say is running down the salt is so much fun. I enjoyed every minute of it! To bad I messed up my 250cc and had to run my 200cc. I had planned on 87 mph and only did 80.438. I can't complain, though, as I was still able to pull off a record!

Yep, I'm one happy guy right now!

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Even when you were slowing down looked awfully fast to me. I remember back when you were pretty new to the forum... what a trip this has been, eh? Who'd a thought back then you'd set a record or two at Bonneville!
SB

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here is another video. This time it's Rich on the bike he built, Bonneville #4. Camera is mounted down low and on the left side of the frame. Course worker captured doing her job perfectly. I am facinated by these videos as I get a whole new perspective on the functionality of the components. Here is one of our custom built springer forks, everything all safety wired per rules, getting the workout on the salt. 21" H rated rubber, beefy stainless spokes and a Honda motorcycle front drum. This was also a first pass record run at almost 79 mph out of a pumped 175 cc engine. Previous record was 72 in this class. I just couldn't believe this little 175cc ran so fast. This machine even has an electric starter. Nice job Rich!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5R0oOSUC3E&feature=em-share_video_user

Here's Rich and his machine going over the preflight check list.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here Rich thinking he's cool in his leather pajamas. Snell approved helmet and engine kill switch lanyard all hooked up and ready to roll. So many little rules you practically need a takeoff check list. Even the requirements for the leathers are complicated. Were only going 80 mph but we were geared up like we were launching to the moon!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
More rules. All sprung suspension must have a functional shock absorber. In true vintage style this is our model 1918 friction shock. The middle joint runs two large leather washers. Adjust the bolt to adjust the dampening rate. Also shown is the dead man switch. Fly off the bike and the engine is shut down. Tires are H rated Perilli's. It's hard to see the steering stops, but they are there, too. Steering is limited 15 degrees each side, 30 degrees total to help arrest a tank slapping wobble. Learning to ride with this limitation was tricky. We spent hours designing and developing the various systems. It may look simple now, but even that shock absorber was a head scratcher.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
My big 250cc engine was an early casuality. Here we are scrounging around for spare parts, taking the best of everything we had to put together something I could ride. When the machines suffer so does your wallet, but you guys know that already. I was going to buy one of those shirts that say "will race for food" but I couldn't afford it.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Team photo from this year on the salt. Two 175cc's and a 250cc. I kept the fairing from the red bike. Plan is to break 90 mph on my 250! Oh, Baird, don't worry about next year as your on the short list for crew. We can talk about backup rider.....