Stopping power

GoldenMotor.com

Jamesgregory

Nov 22, 2012
Ohio
I'm posting this in Mountain bike because I've searched for a while looking how to get better stopping power on my Roadmaster Mountain bike. All the post I have found when I search are discussing brakes on cruisers that have a coaster brake. I have side pull front and rear. I have one of those Duel pull levers and I am NOT at all pleased with it. I have spent a bunch of time adjusting them so the rear comes in first, can’t get it. I am thinking about removing the Duel pull lever and going with 2 levers on one side. Any thoughts on how to get better stopping power with my set up. Oh, I have replaced all the brake cables, housings, pads and hardware.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I use 2 levers for brakes because there are just times I want more front brake than rear and others maybe no front at all. I run the front brake and clutch on the left, and rear on the right. It was easy to get used to using the clutch and front brake together at the same time, I reach my fingers over the clutch and grab the brake with one or two fingers.

The side pull is often about the weakest brake there is so proper adjustment is important but Im sure you have that down. Some center pull are better but barely. A coaster would help but that would lose the rear derailuer and there would be no more moutain bike feature. I would think that the double lever would be tough to get good braking with side pull but I dont know for sure since I have never tried it.

You could look for a used V-brake compatable front brake fork, or you could find a disc front wheel and caliper for pretty cheap on ebay or even some discount bike suppliers for around $60-70 but you also would need a disc compatable fork and that would really add to the cost.

Last edited:

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
what bill said - stock side pull brakes on walmart bikes suck big time. try to get them as tight as possible so you have the least amount of lever travel possible. Or pick up some big motocross / other brake levers... the big levers = more leverage = more braking power. Get a V brake fork or even a V brake adapting plate for the rear. It will make a big difference. Or you could even get some nice sidepulls like these: http://www.porkchopbmx.com/Dia-Compe-MX1000-BMX-brake-caliper-BLACK-ANODIZED-MXS0011T.htm
also check to see if you are using stock rims that have a painted surface. I dont know what fricking idiot decided that it would be a good idea paint the braking surface of wallmart / cheap bike's steel rims with glossy paint. The paint will essentially ruin any attempt made to stop the bike.....^~^ anyway good luck. -MOTO

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
The only thing I can add is to make sure your rims and pads are clean. Regularily wipe them down with a bit of degreaser on a cloth. If you can't get a good grip on the rim nothing else will help.

Jamesgregory

Nov 22, 2012
Ohio
Hmmm!!! Where can I get these V adapters? I will replace both front and rear calipers with these if they will work better. I googled and drew a blank

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Cut or grind the mounts off a cheap parts bike. I find parts bikes at yard sales, thrift stores etc.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
If you need to run 2 brakes, and a happytime clutch, get this:

http://www.bikeberry.com/media/cata...ab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/o/combolever.jpg

$15 http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit-parts/2-stroke-clutch/combo-brake-and-clutch-lever.html

You can probably get a whole 90s mountain bike with cantilevers or v-brakes, for $50 to $100, at pawn shops, craigslist, etc.

If it uses cantilever brakes, you can replace them wtih v-brakes and levers on the same brake studs.

Hmmm!!! Where can I get these V adapters? I will replace both front and rear calipers with these if they will work better. I googled and drew a blank