To everyone with above a 50cc engine:

GoldenMotor.com

mrblack98

Oct 30, 2012
north carolina
EDIT: Particular those of us with the 100cc plus engines on these cruisers; How do you keep these things legal? Or do you try to fool the cops into thinking it's legal? Anybody actually go through the taxes title tags B.S.?
(I mean come on are they actually going to check your displacement?)

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
It is going to depend on what State you are riding in. Max displacement is 50cc in MI and the Deputy inspecting my bike just asked if that was the case. Could have been a 212cc Preditor as far as he was concerned. It's not a problem until you are in an accident or break the law (speeding, etc) then it gets looked at closely. That's when it an cost a lot on money. In MI being a no-fault insurance State you have to have a registered bike to be covered by your insurance. Get in an accident on a bike that is not registered or is not legal and your insurance company may not pay. Again, depends a lot on which State you are operating in and the laws there since they all vary.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
It's been my experience that as long as you give people a nod (you don't necessarily need to smile although sometimes I will), and don't ride on sidewalks or be a nuisance.. you'll be fine. Keep in mind you should also wear mirrored aviator sunglasses and a retro German style half helmet. Follow this recipe and you're good as gold, Mr. Black.

-Groove

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just keep in mind that the cops are not stupid. Just because they are driving a police car doesn't mean that they are not aware that a lawnmower engine on a bike is under 50cc.
Cops can be motor heads too.

If you live in a populated area, and want to ride without a hassle, or the potential for a hassle, make your bike legal, or deal with it when you are stopped.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
its the first glance the sticker addresses....im sure plenty of them know better but they'ld hafta be interested enough

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I got pulled over one late afternoon a little while back on my 212cc race bike and the officer said "nice contraption ya got there". I agreed and told him it was my race bike, he was just interested in me not having a headlight as it was getting dark out. I told him I had one in my backpack but didn't realize it was that dark and I was a block from home. No problem.

dnut

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
We have a 50 cc limit and 2.5 hp.... I've never built either, I'm always over. I think a lot has to do with riding style. Ride responsibly, obey the rules of the road and I'm fine. I did get pulled over in a large parking lot by 2 motorcycle police, but that was because they wanted to check the bike out. They knew I was over the limit.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
same here i obay all laws to the letter, traffic laws that is. have pased cops with scooters pulled over, all they do is smile wave and say nice bike as i pass by.
i had a 66cc 2 smoke ported milled head open pipe and would do 40mph + but never in town. but after i cleared the city limits all bets were off lol

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
California is one of the most hotly debated states for the laws on motorized bicycles...

From everything that I've read about the Cali laws, It's actually legal to have up to a 125cc engine on a bicycle. Anything over 49cc is supposed to wear a have a DMV plate & M1 drivers license, DOT helmet, full lights, mirrors, horn etc...)

It's supposed to be that 49cc & under doesn't require a helmet & other items, but most cops don't care about that & say that if the bicycle has any engine on it at all?, you have to comply with those laws.

So basically, if you just wear the DOT helmet, have the DMV plate & M1 drivers license & all lights, you are OK to ride it no matter what size the engine is; (up to 125cc).

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
California is one of the most hotly debated states for the laws on motorized bicycles...

From everything that I've read about the Cali laws, It's actually legal to have up to a 125cc engine on a bicycle. Anything over 49cc is supposed to wear a have a DMV plate & M1 drivers license, DOT helmet, full lights, mirrors, horn etc...)

It's supposed to be that 49cc & under doesn't require a helmet & other items, but most cops don't care about that & say that if the bicycle has any engine on it at all?, you have to comply with those laws.

So basically, if you just wear the DOT helmet, have the DMV plate & M1 drivers license & all lights, you are OK to ride it no matter what size the engine is; (up to 125cc).
California is very clear about the laws if you read them carefully.

There is absolutely NO mention of any cc limit for motorized bicycles,
just says less than 2 gross brake HP

The 49 cc law is a fallacy and there is no mention of it in any
CA CVC codes.
If you have a 10 cc gas motor and pedals you are in the less than
2 hp motorized bicycle category.
There is also no mention of a 125 cc limit for motorized bikes.

A motor-driven cycle is any motorcycle under 150 cc and requires
registration and a M1 license.
The main difference between a motor-driven cycle and a motorcycle
is that a 150cc and less motor-driven cycle is not allowed on Freeways.

ALL gas powered 2 wheeler's in CA require a helmet with motorized bikes
needing a DOT helmet.
Even ebikes require a bicycle helmet and you have to be over 16.

Motorized bikes, Mopeds and Gopeds (scooters) require a M2 license but
of course a M1 covers all motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and all the M2
classes as well.

Yes, it is just as easy to get a M1 as a M2.

Just because a lot of cops and DMV drones don't enforce or know these laws doesn't
make them not valid.

Last edited: