whats legal where you are?

GoldenMotor.com

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
here in Connecticut these Whizzers are legal .....law reads you have to be under 5hp and have a seat height of at least 26" (keeps the pocket rockets off the roads)...then have a license and that it, no registration required (driver 16-17 must wear a helmet).
So i'm wondering about others and what they are able to do etc?

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I live in Bridgeport, but spend a lot of time on Long Island. I take the Port Jeff ferry on my MB, and they only charge me as a walk-on. Not legal in NY, but I've never been bothered by the Suffolk police. In fact, I've passed many cops who'll wave. Two were curious and have asked me where I got the kit.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
In Mass to be legal. Bike: 50cc or less with a valid moped sticker. The whole registration process depends entirely on your honesty you fill out the paperwork stating such pay 40.00 and you get a sticker. You need a vin so I just add a set of numbers to the bikes serial number that I remember. There is no inspection. Rider must have a valid permit to ride and a valid license to carry passengers- auto permit and license. Plus a helmet. Easy enough.in case there are any questions, I bring my little kids with me who ask tons of questions and try to play with everything- they can't get me out quick enough. And no insurance required you are basically a moped.

Edit: lights are required at night if riding, and if you don't have directionals you must use hand signals.

Last edited:

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
From the very different and confused answers I got here in Florida, any bike with a gas engine is required to be registered and insured as a motorcycle. Even if it has a little 25cc string trimmer engine and goes 10mph, pedals or not, it has to be registered. If it's electric and goes no faster than 20 and no more than 2hp, then it's okay. Being mine is 5.5hp and does 40+, I stick to the back roads where the cops don't go.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
you'ld think Florida with all the retiree's would be a little more reasonable..

livesteamfan

Oct 24, 2009
Palmetto, FL
you'ld think Florida with all the retiree's would be a little more reasonable..
Nope, not even close to reasonable. A friend of mine has issues driving his '31 Model A around town because it doesn't have seat belts. He gets pulled over just about every time he drives it. I've been pulled over a couple times at night in my truck because it doesn't have a third brake light on the cab like newer trucks do.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
indiana must be 15 years old 50cc or less. no plates, insurance, or license required. 15 through 18 must wear helmet not sure on top speed think its 25.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
CALIFORNIA....(for gas bikes,) Electrics are a little different.
2 Gross brake horsepower or less.
30mph max speed.
Special plate REQUIRED. ($19)
M-1 or M-2 license endorsment REQUIRED.
Headlight, Tail light, Brake light, Mirror, REQUIRED.
Helmet REQUIRED.
So basicly it's registered like a Moped.
fatdaddy.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Nope, not even close to reasonable. A friend of mine has issues driving his '31 Model A around town because it doesn't have seat belts. He gets pulled over just about every time he drives it. I've been pulled over a couple times at night in my truck because it doesn't have a third brake light on the cab like newer trucks do.
Fla sucks when it comes to anything motorized...i got a $120 ticket for pulling a uturn on the sidewalk when riding a pit bike on abuddys property...i literally spent 4 seconds on the sidewalk and it cost me 125$...move out of florida...lol

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hi im new to the motor bikes and just got a sd stinger engine does anyone know if theres anything i should change and whays the laws in Ca.
Theres a LOT of legal requirements in California. But the thing is, The cops don't care about most of them. I rode for years with only lights and a helmet. Cops are BIG on helmets in Ca.
I've been doing this for a while and have found most of the Vehicle Codes concerning Motorized Bicycles in Ca. There was a HUGE thread on the other site about this and we got it all worked out. So I'll give you the basic links to start. But like I said, As long as you have lights at night and wear a helmet most cops will leave you alone, But then there's always gonna be that ONE A-hole cop to give you a hard time. Heres the links.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc406.htm /Discribes a Motorized
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5030.htm /plate required
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf /application for plate
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc12500.htm / M-1 or M-2 required (12500) (b).
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27803.htm /Helmet required
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24015.htm / Lights and stuff

Thats not all of it, but enough to make you legal.
fatdaddy.usflg
IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
MI sees them as mopeds so it has to have headlight, taillight, brake light, mirror, horn. Must be 2hp or less, 50cc or less and 30mph or less. Then it is a whole seperate process to get it registered as a moped which includes applying for a VIN, inspection by sheriff, and then plates.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
In Texas motor bicycles are nether legal, or illegal. We ride in a gray area. What matters is whether you must to pedal from stops or not. If you must pedal from stops, you're considered riding a bicycle, and good to go. If you can ride off from a stop like a motorcycle, you're considered riding an unregistered moped. That makes you jail bait, because you can't registered a bicycle in Texas.

Whizzers are recognized as mopeds in Texas, so they can be ridden legally, but you have to register, license, inspect, and insure them.