Sales agreement limiting builder liability

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Unfortunately, that would also mean that craigslight would be a no-go, since everything would be on record.

I'd rather get a contract to protect me, but contracts don't really mean what they used to mean. I could have someone sign a legal waiver saying that they agree that the bike I'm selling them is a death trap, and they could still probably sue me in spite of their negligence.
For some reason I've always liked dictionaries. I recently came across a really nice, very large old one. I compared some words to the definitions in a newer "New World" dictionary from the same company- they have simply changed the definitions of words to mean, sometimes, nearly the opposite of what they were defined as when my father was my age. A living language changes, yes, but much more slowly than that.
I suspect strategery to be the cause...

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
For some reason I've always liked dictionaries. I recently came across a really nice, very large old one. I compared some words to the definitions in a newer "New World" dictionary from the same company- they have simply changed the definitions of words to mean, sometimes, nearly the opposite of what they were defined as when my father was my age. A living language changes, yes, but much more slowly than that.
I suspect strategery to be the cause...
Have fun with your antiquated language, old man. :)

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
I suspect strategy to be the cause...
Any new version of the bible does the same thing. If you can't get back to the origanal Hebrew or the Greek, you my as well watch cartoons. Suburb observation about strategy.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I THINK you guys got it. The contracts are no good because the words mean something that we don't expect them to mean (not common usage).
A society that produces a President who uses the 'word', "strategery" obviously isn't paying much attention to the bastardification of the very words coming out of our mouths.
As for strategy, I am amazed at those who don't see it. Can't say who, and I can't say why, but it is what it is. And just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me! lol!
(Old man?! Holy crap- the dictionary is from the 70s, and it's older than me!:) )

To the OP, I would consider it carefully. Ambulance chasers are plentiful these days. There must be an acceptable way for you to produce income and not be responsible for the actions of others. Partial disassembly and a flyer stating clearly that the bike is unsafe to ride may work for you. Something like: Unsafe! Any part of this bike could break, or a meteor could fall on your head while operating this motor bike, and you could be hurt or even killed! Written in 'lawyer-speak' of course.
I'll be following along, thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I visited a local kit dealer's website http://www.motobikebymark.com/ here in San Diego. He was smart enough to put a disclaimer on his website that seems comprehensive enough and covers more than just injury liability.

Disclaimer:

- Operating this motorized bicycle or bicycle engine kit involves some risk of serious bodily injury . Buyer accepts responsibility for any and all vehicle operation that may lead to personal injury, economic loss, social distress, other losses, costs and damages.

- Seller is not responsible for injuries and/or damages resulting from operating this motorized bicycle or bicycle engine kit.

- Not all motorized bicycles are permitted for road use. Check with your local Vehicle Insurance services for requirements.

- Although this kit fits MOST bikes, We cannot guarantee that this kit will fit your individual bike.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I visited a local kit dealer's website http://www.motobikebymark.com/ here in San Diego. He was smart enough to put a disclaimer on his website that seems comprehensive enough and covers more than just injury liability.

Disclaimer:

- Operating this motorized bicycle or bicycle engine kit involves some risk of serious bodily injury . Buyer accepts responsibility for any and all vehicle operation that may lead to personal injury, economic loss, social distress, other losses, costs and damages.

- Seller is not responsible for injuries and/or damages resulting from operating this motorized bicycle or bicycle engine kit.

- Not all motorized bicycles are permitted for road use. Check with your local Vehicle Insurance services for requirements.

- Although this kit fits MOST bikes, We cannot guarantee that this kit will fit your individual bike.
And don't sell bicycles, motorized or not, to complete idiots.......no exceptions! :D