I hate Ohio

GoldenMotor.com

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
Well I was reading the ORC (Ohio Revised Code) to make sure I could find the applicable laws in my state. Apparently they have updated it to amend the definitions of the law effective 2017 the definition of a motorized bicycle or a moped is one and the same. This takes away all the advantage of having one of these as transportation if you do not have a license. This totally sucks. It amazes me how these little laws and rules get changed without any fanfare and no one knows about them until it is too late. Have you ever tried traveling anywhere if you live in a rural area and do not have a license? You might as well be living in a cave somewhere because you cannot function in society.

4501.01 [Effective 1/1/2017] Motor vehicles definitions
(L) “Motorized bicycle” or “moped” means any vehicle that either has two tandem wheels or one wheel in the front and two wheels in the rear, that may be pedaled, and that is equipped with a helper motor of not more than fifty cubic centimeters piston displacement that produces no more than one brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of no greater than twenty miles per hour on a level surface.

Amended by 129th General Assembly File No. 168, SB 114, § 1, eff. 1/1/2017.

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
That's right, Jan 1, 2017 you will have to have a valid license, registration, and insurance for a motorized bicycle, because it will fall under the rules of a moped.

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
The bill introduced prohibits other things also like operating low speed vehicles on roads that have posted limits above 35mph. Seriously, how are we even supposed to travel if this is the case.
I wrote the Senator a short letter telling him it was a stupid bill and should be repealed.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Well at least there's 4 years to try to change the law. Get in touch with your local ABATE.

UVsaturated

May 15, 2008
Dayton, Ohio
What is ABATE? You know this should be of concern to everyone, because many states will follow suite. I often wondered if and when the state would try to legislate motorized bicycles. It isn't enough for them to bring in money from all other forms of transportation that they simply changed the definition to include motored bikes too. This may not be a big deal to those who drive because they already have a license, but for some of us this is the only way we can commute because of distances involved. I think it is totally unfair to us.