California Registration

GoldenMotor.com

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
I just laughed as i checked them :)
Actually just sent mine in yesterday...and bought a punch set today for engine vin.
God Bless CA and all the legal hoops we have to jump through to have fun.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I just looked up that CA form 230...

Do you guys actually check all 4 boxes with a straight face? LOL

Now I know why you mail those in.

B.
Of course I check all 4 of them. The first two are not ANY problem, Two or three wheeled device and does it have pedals. The third question, automatic tranny, Yes. After the motor is engaged the bike is automatic, no shifting required. And MOST chinese 2 strokes, untill you do something to them, would be darned lucky to even get 2 gross brake horsepower, especially out of the 49CC. As far as the 30mph thing, like I said, untill you do something to it, remove that restrictive baffle, ect, you would be VERY lucky to hit 30mph. So just leave it alone, at least untill you get the plate so you don't have to lie to DMV. If you read the codes closely, there is no CC limit on the engines, ONLY a gross brake horsepower limit. You could take a 454 Hemi, detune it so it only puts out 2 gross brake horsepower and wouldn't push the bike faster then 30mph and it would be legal on yer bike. And the only reason we mail them in is because the people at DMV know nothing about Motorized Bikes. You'll get everything from "That thing can't be registered" to "A motorized WHAT?" Just TOO MANY problems with the ignorance at DMV.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I just laughed as i checked them :)
Actually just sent mine in yesterday...and bought a punch set today for engine vin.
God Bless CA and all the legal hoops we have to jump through to have fun.
Kind of a good idea about the punch set. But ya gotta know, A cop is probably NEVER gonna check.
fatdaddy.
And OH YEAH, be very carefull punching it, You know how cheap that chinese metal is. You could punch a hole right through it.

Last edited:

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I agree fatdaddy. The people at the local DMV have no idea what to do with the form. I tried it once and the counter person had to call their manager. After some behind the scenes discussion they ended up telling me I needed a bill of sale. I walked away and mailed it in.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
i agree fatdaddy. The people at the local dmv have no idea what to do with the form. I tried it once and the counter person had to call their manager. After some behind the scenes discussion they ended up telling me i needed a bill of sale. I walked away and mailed it in.
yep. Ignorance.

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
@Fatdaddy I will be sure to take extra care while punching it! Do you think it matters where i do it? I was thinking on the underside of the magneto cover just because 1)if i mess it up i can jb weld it and not have too many problems 2)its visible if you are looking at the bikes vin (directly next to where mine is located)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
@Fatdaddy I will be sure to take extra care while punching it! Do you think it matters where i do it? I was thinking on the underside of the magneto cover just because 1)if i mess it up i can jb weld it and not have too many problems 2)its visible if you are looking at the bikes vin (directly next to where mine is located)
The numbers should be punched on one or both of the cases in front
of the cylinder above the front motor mount where it can be easily read.

I have seen a few kit motors that had some kind of number punched there.

Putting the number on a removable cover would never happen from the
manufacturer for obvious reasons.

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
Got my registration paperwork about 3 weeks ago, but still no plate.
anyone know if the plate comes with the initial reg. and the single $19 fee?

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
Oh mannn. I'm pretty much out of luck with that then i take it and would have to resend a reg form with another $19, just because I have no idea whom I could even contact about it.
Shoot. I guess I'm lucky cops here in n. Sd county just don't care about these bikes so long as you have a helmet on.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
This might be the one time that you want to go to DMV and talk to one of those highly educated, well trained and very pleasant persons behind the desk. Take the paperwork of course.
fatdaddy.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The paperwork that you get back with the plate is called an
***IDENTIFICATION CARD***

Is that what you got?
The license plate number assigned to you is in the top right corner: C03XXXX

Does your card have your Vehicle ID number and ENG# on it?

Never heard of anyone not getting a plate with their IDENTIFICATION CARD.

roadrockett

Feb 2, 2013
gilroy california
i was going to try to make my motorized bicycle somewhat legal in califorina by plating it as a motorized bike/moped . the reg230 form asked for ser # and an engine # . does anyone know what we are to put in as the #s ?

thanks dan

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
My serial number was found on the bicycle under the bottom bracket area. As for the motor, taking the advice of others on here I did my serial number with an "E" in front of it. If your frame doesn't have the number on it, a stamp set or engraver can be used to put one on it.
Hope it helps!

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego
I also did what K.Mah said

I had sent in for another plate a month and a half ago. I'm a little disappointed that it has taken even longer to come in than the first plate.

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
The paperwork that you get back with the plate is called an
***IDENTIFICATION CARD***

Is that what you got?
The license plate number assigned to you is in the top right corner: C03XXXX

Does your card have your Vehicle ID number and ENG# on it?

Never heard of anyone not getting a plate with their IDENTIFICATION CARD.
Yup, that's the paper I have and still no plate. Even re sent another form saying it wasnt received. I have the plate number on the card and everything.
But on a brighter note, got the same paperwork for my puch maxi and it had a plate with it. Who knows what happened to the first plate...